Three legged chicken

Quote:
Yep, I wasn't trying to tell you what to do, more power to you if that is what you want to do! I just have had way too many fowl over the years, and you learn over time it is best for your whole flock to cull out genetic problems like this in the long run. I am not trying to be insensitive, trust me, I am all for treating animals with compassion, and I understand your view, because I used to be the same way when I first got into fowl. Good luck with it.
big_smile.png

Quote:
I am not sure what future plans she has for her flock but if she doesn't plan on using it as a breeding bird and as just a laying hen or a pet I am sure it will turn out fine
smile.png

Don't chickens tend to pick on others with deformities? Just wondering. I agree with culling it, it certainly seems more humane than letting it drag around this extra appendage that may be prone to damage and infection. Also, the betadine wash may burn a young chick in a wound or sensitive area....maybe could use it diluted. Just a nursing point of view...

I had a chick with only one eye and a crooked beak and while the roos never mated with her she was part of the flock, though she prefered to be with humans so she became a house chicken.
wink.png

I think it comes down to the quality of life. If it can get around and do well in the flock, is a pet, and isn't suffering with the appendage via constant injury/infection, then there is no reason to cull. Now, if the bird does not fit into your breeding plans, is pecked on, always running a bad infection, and is failing to thrive, then culling may sound like a better option.

Good luck with the chick!

She looks bright and alert in the pics. I say go for it!

If there's no blood supply the extra leg with fall off.

There's a person on here who has a bird with 2 vents also...so these things happen.

If they're pets, then I would let things be.

My Slifer the Sky Dragon was a true hermaphrodite bird...she'd crow and do roostery stuff and laid me one yellow egg in the 4 years I had her.

I am wondering if you have any advice for us. We have just received an order of chickens and one of the Rhode Island Reds has three legs. Could you please tell me how your chicken did, did it survive, did you treat it other than cleaning it? Did the other chickens peck at it? Did she lay?

This is our chick.

Back
Top Bottom