Three little hens, What to do?

jenjscott

Mosquito Beach Poultry
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Southeast Arkansas
I have three little BTW Japanese all trying to go broody in the same nest box.

3430830194_e803d78737.jpg

There are only 2 other hens in the pen right now. They are sitting on too many eggs for one to cover. There was just one setting and I was going to move her with what she could cover to a crate, and when I went to get her this am, there were three sitting on the nest. I thought maybe they were just laying, but they were still there this pm. What is the best way to handle this? Three way split on the eggs in three different crates and see who sticks?

I have zero experience on broodies so far, but I've read a bit on them. I think your idea of a three-way split of the eggs in three different crates is a good one. That's what I'd try. If any of them give up, you can just pop their eggs under one of the others when the moment is right.

I'm hoping some of mine go broody this year.
big_smile.png

Good luck on your broodies! They are beautiful!

I think splitting them is probably a good idea, I had 4 go broodie together last year, but we left them alone, they hatched 22 eggs.

I would split them because I had two setting and after the hatch one took the chicks away from the other. The second hen out tried to help only to get run off by the other hen. It was kind of sad.

I don't have any experience with that but just wanted to say that they look so cute. The one in the middle looks like she is claiming the space by spreading her wings over the other two. After listening to my kids argue with each other all morning all I can think is those hens are saying, "I was here first" "No you weren't, I was!!!" "Get out of here, I called it first!!"
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom