Three months old and still not 100% sure.....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sweeterdeeter42, Aug 4, 2011.

1. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    This is my first chick that I successfully hatched out in an incubator by myself. I am thinking rooster, but Im not sure still. He was hatched on Mother's Day. He came from an Easter Egger, but his paternity is unknown. I think it has to be some kind of pure breed though, since all the adult chickens that the person that I got the hen from had were hatchery bought chickens. The hen was pre-fertilized when I got her. He doesnt have a comb or any wattles yet, and the cuckoo marans rooster next to him in the one picture is two weeks younger than him and already has a huge comb and wattles. He has pretty much no comb at all anyways though. It is hard to tell if his hackle and saddle feathers are pointy because the pattern on them is "v" shaped. I am not sure at all the gender on this one. Or breed mixture. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the hen that layed the egg that he hatched from:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  2. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    I would say a hen but I would like to see what others have to say. It is pretty whatever it is. [​IMG]

3. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    100% girl! A rooster would have something of a comb by now. [​IMG]

Is that a turkey in the background? [​IMG]

4. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:maybe....... [​IMG] lol. They are bonded.

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Really interesting bird! [​IMG]

I'd say it's an EE/Buff Rock mix of some sort. Normally if it was 'pure' (if you can use that word for EEs) EE, I would say the coloration is female, but I'm seeing a lot of roo features on your bird.

I'm leaning towards roo despite the lack of comb development, I think I see a whole lot of saddle feathers back there.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Heehee, was too focused on the chicken. What a cute Turkey!

7. sweeterdeeter42

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:I know, it looks like a bunch of saddle feathers doesnt it? That is why I think roo, but they are rounded. Arent they supposed to be pointy?
    and I meant pure like as in hatchery descriptions. Like most hatchery descriptions of EE's make people that dont know that there is a difference think that they are pure Ameraucanas. They said she was an ameraucana when I got her from them. But I knew better. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I see what you're talking about Pele, but I don't think they're saddle feathers...

Could you get another pic SweeterDeeter? A nice clear profile pic that shows the wing/tail area would be great! [​IMG]

9. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    Hen.

10. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    Looks like a roo to me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by