Three new babies but one is half the size

the1honeycomb

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Yadkinville NC-3yrs
I recently put 3 baby chicks under a broody hen who had been sitting for 6 weeks. she took to them right away and is a VERY protective mom
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

one of the chicks seems to get away from the Momma and is only half the size of the other 2 chicks
hu.gif
what to do and how to help if I should help.
he.gif

these chicks were bought from a local farmer very healthy looking but the little one likes to wander
hide.gif
My dog has found it twice now.
Thanks for any suggestions!!
frow.gif

the smaller one is probley a bantam and you could try seperating them from the rest of the flock. i keep my mom and chicks in a large brooder we have inside coop

I hatched 3 chicks about 5 weeks ago, and one of them was very much bigger than the other 2. Now the chick that was the biggest is less than half the size of the other two. Its healthy and lively, just very small. All my chicks are bantams, I guess sometimes you just get small ones, we're not all the same size after all.
big_smile.png

I've seen this happen in other species as well. I usually hatch 2-3 clutches of turkeys each year. Out of each clutch there is always a run that just seems stunted in growth. I have had chicken clutches do they same. Sometimes theres just a small one sometimes not. Our runts always get babied since they are smaller. I'll sneak them there own little food dish and water in a separate pen. I don't know that its needed I think it just makes me feel better about the situation. As long as its eating drinking and active I wouldn't worry much about it

Back
Top Bottom