Three new, confused pullets

Jenhaus

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Hi everyone - Jennifer here in Nyack, NY with three six-week old pullets that I got on Sunday. I'm trying to train them in the ways of chickens. They are a little confused. I have a small ark-style coop and they don't seem to want to go up to the top. For the last couple of nights I had to go in there and catch them and put them up there myself. Tonight two of them went up on their own, but one (who seems to be the leader) is pacing back and forth in the lower cage, pecking at the wire, trying to fly out and bumping her head. Poor thing. She doesn't seem to want to be in there at all. They have a yard where they've ranged all day. They must be exhausted! I'd so appreciate any tips.
Looking forward to getting to know and chatting with everyone here!
Jennifer

welcome-byc.gif
from Eastern Kentucky.

Welcome!
You are doing fine. Just keep putting them to bed at sundown each night. Mine protested as well but after a few nights they figured it out (and I stopped staring at them, not sure which happened first
smile.png
.) They are now happy to take themselves to bed and all I have to do is close the door behind them.
And as a tiny aside, maybe submit a picture of your restless one to the breed/sex forum for a pullet/roo assessment. It's just ringing a bell for me with my first surprise I'm not a pullet boy (who is lovely, by the way)

Quote:
Mine are of similar ages and I am doing the same thing for the third night in a row. As dusk approaches the youngest chirp as if they are lost. Then they all bunch down at the base of the coop, outside in the run and go to sleep. I then pick each one up and put the sleepy pullet in the coop. In the morning they cheerfully chirp and walk down the ramp ready for the day.

Hopefully in a few days they will get it!

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio! Sounds like you're doing the right thing, putting them in their home each night. Just keep your routine each evening. Be sure they have food & water in there. My chickens have days when they refuse to go to the coop. Maybe they're just not ready to go to bed, or they're bored with the routine?
idunno.gif
chickens all seem to have their own minds & moods.
hu.gif
I'm wondering if this free-ranging is confusing mine, since they get so bold & moody.

Back
Top Bottom