Three on one--UPDATE

Lorettawyandotte

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
white springs, fl
One of my Welsummer pullets escaped the chicken yard today and ended up in the side yard that the dogs have access to...I did not see her until the dogs went tearing off the deck in pursuit...it was all out hot blooded prey drive...I can not run with my old butt and double knee replacements...I tried to call them off but they were deaf so it was three Dobermans on one hapless pullet...I finally got to them and there were feathers every where...that pullet was fighting for her life, pecking and and hitting with her wings...and screaming at the top of her lungs...the roos were hysterical on the other side of the fence...I got the dogs back and grabbed her up...she was still screaming and pecking and swinging at me...I finally got her calmed a bit and assessed the damages...she is a mess...one wing is broken...she has one pathetic tail feather left sticking straight up in the air...she has wounds on her back half but they did not open up the body cavity...she has been eating, pooing and strutting like some kind of warrior princess...I don't know what to do with the wing...it is hanging by a thread at the first joint...I don't think it will heal so I will take her in to the vet in the a.m. and have him amputate...and do whatever else he can for her...she is just a mess...looks like five miles of bad road...she has my complete respect and admiration...what a plucky little girl...I have been calling her Mattie but may have to come up with something a little more in line with her character and will to live...the dogs are dogs and I can not totally fault them...she was where she was not supposed to be...she paid for that blunder and I did find and repair the spot she slipped through...poor little Mattie...she is resting in a dog crate tonight...sigh...some how I feel like a bad chicken and dog mom...

MISS MATTIE LAID HER FIRST EGG TODAY...she is back with the main flock and has no idea she is "handicapped" with only one wing...she is quite the sport...

Last edited:
omg, what an attack, but what a warrior. I feel for you and your girl and hope she makes it. She sounds incerdible and I'm pulling for her (and you), get her to the vet and keep us posted

ps. not your fault, that's why they're called accidents!

I so hope they can save the wing.

My Golden Retriever is always hoping she can grab one. It is her in bred bird dog instinct.

its not your fault...accidents happen!....what a tough little girl!...i know i'd die of fear/pee my pants, if I was attacked by 3 Dobi's!!!....she's a tough chick!...
lau.gif
....hope she is okay!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
I would certainly do whatever it takes to save a fighter like that. The wing can probably be clipped off if it's only hanging by a thread. Others on here have had chickens lose wings and they are fine. She'll probably need to be on antibiotics for a few days just to prevent infection but sounds like she'll live to tell the tale. That had to be something to see.

my dad used to have a dog that would attack his chickens and kill them. he tied one of the baby chicks the dog had killed around his neck, and tied the dog to rope so it couldn't try to run it off. the chick was there until it decayed off, and the dog never touched the chickens again... i'm a dog lover, but i don't care for ones that aggresively attack chickens

Quote:
ACKKK!! Gross!
sickbyc.gif

Loretta- I hope your girl is ok. She is one tough chick. Get that girl a ciggie and a leather jacket!

on a lighter note, chickens are very resilient.. we had one stuck in wire fencing before, and she lived in our bathtub for a couple of weeks.. if you give her lots of love(and of course, pain killers) she'll pull through

Back
Top Bottom