Three Part Question about Getting Rid of Mites

RowanTheRed

Songster
5 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Upstate South Carolina
I found mites crawling on some eggs and then myself yesterday when I went out to check viability of eggs one of my hens is sitting on. So I am going to clean out the coop again (just did this a week ago and liberally sprinkled DE in the coop prior to new bedding) and this time I'm heading out to pick up some Permethrin spray to treat coop AND the chickens.

First question, I noticed they're were various % of Permethrin concentrate, 10 and 13.3, which is best to use.

Second question, is it safe to use on the broody or more specifically is it safe for the developing chicks in ther eggs?

Last question. How likely is it my broody won't abandon the eggs of I have to move her and them to an entirely new place? This is her second time brooding sto she's not new to it.

I have 10%, if you get a different % concentration my guess is they'll have directions to match, so that it still gets diluted down to the same amount of permethrin vs water.

Not sure about the eggs. Pretty sure it'd be fine to treat the broody but hopefully someone who knows more about hatching in these circumstances will pipe in.

I'd use permethrin dust on the broody,
and her nest under the new bedding you will put in there.
Make sure you get the dust onto her skin around vent and belly, under wings, and around head and neck.
How far along is she?
Do it at night after dark to increase the chances she will get back on the eggs.

Thank you both. I got both the liquid and powder forms. I cleaned out the nest boxes yesterday evening and used the liquid in those to get into the crevices as well as all of the roosts and other corners and crevices in the coop.

I still need to do all the chickens along with the floor of the coop. I had just put down DE and new straw in the coop last week. I didn't notice any mites then but I found lots of them on me on Sunday when I went out to candle the eggs the broody was on. I snuck in and closed all of the doors and windows while she took a break. When I squated down by the nesting box they were in and started handling them the mites came out in droves! 😬😬😬 Dang wee beasties were crawling all over my arms and the eggs.

Should I go ahead and replace all of the new straw that I just put down. Or do you think it would be okay with the dust sprinkled in it?

And how do you know of you've got enough on the birds? And is it okay around their eyes? I'll definitely have to get my other half to help me with it because there are 19 to do. Most of which are large fowl sized and I don't think I'm coordinated enough to hold and powder these puff balls!

As far as the broody, she's about a 9 days into it. She started with 6 eggs but 3 were duds so she only has 3 left.

Dang wee beasties were crawling all over my arms and the eggs.
Aaaack!!

Should I go ahead and replace all of the new straw that I just put down.
Or do you think it would be okay with the dust sprinkled in it?
In the nest or the whole coop?
Hard to say...any chance the mites came in with the straw?

And how do you know of you've got enough on the birds?
Be generous, then check daily for mites on birds.

I'm guessing the mites might be in the straw, so if that's the case, you'll need to get something else.

Ugh, I'm itchy just thinking about it. My mite bites from a month ago are still visible. :(

x2 on being generous in dusting the birds. Easiest way I found (since I had to do it myself) was to dust their backs over a bin (I used the bottom of a kitty litter box) and then flip them over into the bin and pin them down with one hand while dusting their bellies. Then with your free hand rub that into the skin, under the wings, back around vent, up towards neck. If you need to get some around the head flip them back over and sort of gently pat it in around the base of comb and neck.

In the nest or the whole coop?
Hard to say...any chance the mites came in with the straw?

Be generous, then check daily for mites on birds.

The straw was a new bale from TSC, one of the compressed bales wrapped in heavy plastic. I only used one on the coop floor with DE sprinkled in liberally before I put it down. I'm pretty certain out was free of mites to start with. However maybe not now.

I already cleaned out the nesting boxes, applied the spray and put down new straw there. But since I haven't done the birds yet I will likely redo that again. I can't pull out any of the old straw yet because we need to get our burn barrel set up again. The old one finally rusted through so just got a new one but it's still in the back of the truck. Once it's set up then it can be burned rather than put in the compost pile.

I'm guessing the mites might be in the straw, so if that's the case, you'll need to get something else.

Ugh, I'm itchy just thinking about it. My mite bites from a month ago are still visible. :(

x2 on being generous in dusting the birds. Easiest way I found (since I had to do it myself) was to dust their backs over a bin (I used the bottom of a kitty litter box) and then flip them over into the bin and pin them down with one hand while dusting their bellies. Then with your free hand rub that into the skin, under the wings, back around vent, up towards neck. If you need to get some around the head flip them back over and sort of gently pat it in around the base of comb and neck.

That's a great idea with the box! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom