Three roos, Three pullets. What to do?

Welcome to the Association of Rooster Farmers Anonymous. Last night, I took 3 beautiful, friendly, healthy, tame Australorp X (1 barred rock, 1 BBRed, and 1 that just takes after mother) roosters to my goat barn. My goats have always lived with chickens and lately their last production red hen defected to the front yard for the company of our Rhode Island Red rooster and assorted hens.

My boys are brothers who get along well together. We currently have some bantam boys who have free ranged together with assorted bantam hens for their entire lives. We have very few scuffles and literally no problems at all. So, I thought I might let those three brothers free range together then get them some started Australorp pullets in the spring if possible.

Now the boys in the middle pen who bloody me every time I open the door to feed them...I'm thinking Soup, Stew, and Casserole would be great names for them.

I'm just watching and learning.

I personally couldn't eat my chickens, but I don't have any negative feelings toward those that could.

As for my three roosters, I don't know, but I appreciate all the different perspectives. I'll probably have to give away at least two,
but I'm not ready. Anyone in Virginia want a couple cute little bantie boys?
cool.png

Wait and see what happens. I live in the land of excessive roosters, myself and except around 6 am there isn't much of an issue. You might find out that your roosters have their pecking order established and everything is fine. If not, well, you could come down and visit my neck of the woods for the Christmas train ride in a month or so and leave them in a box on my door step with a note or just turn them loose with my flock. Depending on the breed of your bantam boys, I might not even notice. I'd just spread out a little more feed in the mornings. But a visit would be friendly.

Since we got chickens I've been cooking fertilized eggs, btw. I know the eggs taste better/richer but I think it's because of what they are eating only.

Quote:

I've never needed them. The only girls I ever had with this trouble were my quail. We started with 1 rooster per hen because we couldn't seem to buy just the bantam hens. People wanted to sell matched pairs. Unless they are molting, my girls have always kept their feathers.

You guys are too funny. You are cracking me up.
lau.gif

I keep saying some of the roos are gonna be "fox food" if they don't behave.
I really appreciate the honesty about free-ranging your boys. I think many folks who
cannot butcher their own chickens do resort to the live and let live policy. I mean coop space is expensive!
Reservations are required.
hide.gif

Oh, they still get shelter at night. We have nest boxes in the goat barn and roosting space. If they aren't in the barn tonight, I'll go get them and carry them up to the barn. Eventually they will learn where they are supposed to sleep. Everyone has a roof for the night if they want it, penned and free ranging alike.

Back
Top Bottom