Three Rouen drakes and maybe a knaki Campbell drake

Quacking ducks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
May 31, 2019
93F6A400-8B4B-42D8-951F-2F8C82773574.jpeg
I have three Rouen drakes and I think a knaki Campbell drake, free to a good home. We rescued them today. They were dumped at a park.
They seem healthy. We are located in the Kansas City metro.

Awesome!:celebrate
So out of my 6 ducklings I got in the summer, 4 are drakes. As a new duck owner I am now very stressed. :(

I know how that goes. Last summer I got 5 ducklings and 4 were drakes. We ended up getting more females.

I think I would end up divorced if I got more. I have no idea how I'm going to manage them but more girls might be the only way.

I think I would end up divorced if I got more. I have no idea how I'm going to manage them but more girls might be the only way.

They all might be fine together but just keep an eye on the females. The drakes are normally more agrasive in late winter, spring and early summer. I give my ducks brewers yeast in their food morning and night. It can help calm them down a little and it’s good for them, lots of B vitamins in it. What kind of ducks do you have?

My girls are a Mallard and Black Swedish. My drakes are two Pekins (one is blind) and two Khaki Campbell. I'm worried about the little Mallard being abused. There are just too many boys. I had no idea what the breeds were and the sales person didnt either. I love them all, I'm just worried, lol. So it kinda sounds like they are agressive most of the year. I think I'm started to see a more assertive behavior in a few of them.
I used Brewers Yeast for a while when they were babies, I can start doing that again. Thank you for the reminder.
May I ask what type of set up you use? I have my ducks and chickens (they grew up together) in a horse stall that I converted for them at night. I need to start planning a separate sleeping quarters, I think, it seems as they are maturing the ducks fuss at the chickens.
Many thanks :)

My girls are a Mallard and Black Swedish. My drakes are two Pekins (one is blind) and two Khaki Campbell. I'm worried about the little Mallard being abused. There are just too many boys. I had no idea what the breeds were and the sales person didnt either. I love them all, I'm just worried, lol. So it kinda sounds like they are agressive most of the year. I think I'm started to see a more assertive behavior in a few of them.
I used Brewers Yeast for a while when they were babies, I can start doing that again. Thank you for the reminder.
May I ask what type of set up you use? I have my ducks and chickens (they grew up together) in a horse stall that I converted for them at night. I need to start planning a separate sleeping quarters, I think, it seems as they are maturing the ducks fuss at the chickens.
Many thanks :)

20847BEB-4173-46DA-9F50-2817C59ED4D8.jpeg
9B3975BB-C8FD-44F1-9326-9A019EFFE4F5.jpeg
E215247E-EE4E-47D1-A605-6BFB39112E14.jpeg
This is the setup I have. The house and pen are about 4ft tall. I would suggest doing a house and pen that you can walk into if possible. This is our first duck house. It’s not i deal for people to be going in and out of but it keeps the ducks safe and it does work for now. I hope this helps.

View attachment 1973291 View attachment 1973292 View attachment 1973293 This is the setup I have. The house and pen are about 4ft tall. I would suggest doing a house and pen that you can walk into if possible. This is our first duck house. It’s not i deal for people to be going in and out of but it keeps the ducks safe and it does work for now. I hope this helps.
Awesome! Thank you so much, this gives me good ideas. Things seem to be changing daily with my group as they are becoming older. We are coming up with our coop plans now. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom