Three Runner ducklings and a MAGPIE??! -- UPDATED w/PIC

L0rraine

Crowing
13 Years
May 20, 2009
Whidbey Island
I've done a remarkable job (I thought) of keeping my Runners separated from my Magpies during the breeding season. Their pens are clear across the yard from each other and, though I let them take turns free-ranging, I don't remember anyone breeching the others' pens. So, I was absolutely baffled this morning when there were four ducklings under one of my blue Runners -- a black, a blue, a silver AND A MAGPIE?! And it's markings are so definite there's no mistaking it. I think I have a vague recollection of picking up an egg just outside the Runner's pen, thinking a rat or something must have tried to steal it, and putting it back in the nest -- but this was when they were already sitting on their eggs so I'm amazed it would be one of the first to hatch. However, that's my ONLY possible explanation (and I'm sticking to it). It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days. There seem to be no new pips, so I may break down and candle a few of the remaining ten or so eggs this afternoon. I have two nests going, a Blue Runner on one and a Saxony Runner on the other, and I think the Saxony got started a day or two after my Blue.

Last edited:
Whoops! - Two blues, a silver and a magpie?! Still waiting on all the other eggs ...

31977_ducklings_wmagpie.jpg

Awww! My magpie crosses always come out looking very similar to my magpies. I hatched out 16 magpie x runners last november - GORGEOUS! I love your little peeps! Looks like a magpie mama just left you a little present. Probably flaunting her egg laying skills in front of the runners, lol

Hey T Hi!

We'll see what tomorrow brings. I'm up to five (with one more blue), but the newest blue was out of the nest and cold when I went to tuck everyone in tonight. I put him back in the nest and then re-checked about 45 minutes later. It was a little hard to tell which one was stuck outside the nest 'cuz they are all still so new and tiny, so I put the three blues out of the nest with a little more straw around to make sure they could crawl back in. All three found their way back under Mama (though one struggled a bit longer than the others) so I'm hoping there won't be further problems in the middle of the night. They are so incredibly resilient and yet still so fragile, I hate the worrying part of all of this.

I'm hoping the eggs under my other duck will start hatching tomorrow, but we'll see. And of course, it sounds like it's hard to find homes for everyone this time of year, so not sure why I'm hoping for a bigger hatch this time.

Back
Top Bottom