Three unknowns

seems pretty definitive.
My final ask is for Chip. Pretty sure it's a hen but we are far from eggsperts. This was taken at 11 weeks and one day - (s)he doesn't hold still so it's hard to get a good picture. Also might be worth noting its about half the size of the other chickens, though born first (from a blue egg).
02b17371b62e05a56d64feb20ed88ad4899db748-1.jpg
d7895ebbebcf27fb1739cc66b3a94586c568567a-1.jpg
6fac98e70409e52540dc56e09f465fc37514eb09-1.jpg

seems pretty definitive.
My final ask is for Chip. Pretty sure it's a hen but we are far from eggsperts. This was taken at 11 weeks and one day - (s)he doesn't hold still so it's hard to get a good picture. Also might be worth noting its about half the size of the other chickens, though born first (from a blue egg).
View attachment 3406604View attachment 3406603View attachment 3406605
If its the one (i assume it is) with barely any comb and wattle and in the middle on the last photo, then pullet.

seems pretty definitive.

Pullet-other two are definitely cockerels

Well, I thought it was settled but then came across these pictures of a confirmed hen:

3741781_orig.jpg

side by side for comparison:

4876793.jpg
6E11E515-E287-41A7-B8C5-B109651297FB.jpeg

All the tells I thought made Fleef obviously a rooster are on this hen as well. I guess I just won't know until it crows (or lays an egg). Going on 12 weeks, though..

Attachments

• 4876793.jpg
    4876793.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 4
I have a question for ya, if there are indeed 2 cockerels, are you going to get a few more pullets for your lone girl? She will be pretty sad if she’s by herself.

I have a question for ya, if there are indeed 2 cockerels, are you going to get a few more pullets for your lone girl? She will be pretty sad if she’s by herself.
Short answer: yes.
Long answer: Our first two hens were discovered by a raccoon late last fall. Kids were really sad about it and they only sell chicks commercially around here in the spring, so we asked a friend to give us some fertile eggs. She gave us 6 and 3 hatched, saying she's fine taking any roosters back. Tally started crowing about a week ago so we gave him back - he's doing great. We don't actually need to part with Fleef until he starts crowing but we will need to give him back once that happens (city ordinance). Of course, we'll just get sexed chicks from a local farm store next week (when they become available) - hoping against hope that Fleef doesn't crow until they are old enough to mingle with Chip, because we don't want her to spend even a single day alone as that would, indeed, be sad.

The only question is whether to get two or three chicks. If there is even the tiniest chance that Fleef is a hen, we can't have 5 chickens (city ordinance). I think I'm just going to go ahead and get two and wait until we return Fleef to get the third. Or maybe we'll be able to get three and give the friend who gave us the eggs one of the hens if it turns out Fleef is a hen - only fair since she took a rooster, i guess.

Or maybe we'll be able to get three and give the friend who gave us the eggs one of the hens if it turns out Fleef is a hen - only fair since she took a rooster, i guess.
It might be difficult for a single hen to integrate into your friends flock. If you are ok with 3 girls (if Fleef is a boy and ends up going back), I would get 2 pullet chicks now, and brood them outside (in a separate area) with Fleef & Chip (or brood them inside and put them in a dog crate in the run w heat for a few hours a day with the older flock so they can get used to each other). I’m sorry about your previous flock, losing chickens can be devastating to kids!

Well, I thought it was settled but then came across these pictures of a confirmed hen:

View attachment 3412908

side by side for comparison:

View attachment 3412910 View attachment 3412909

All the tells I thought made Fleef obviously a rooster are on this hen as well. I guess I just won't know until it crows (or lays an egg). Going on 12 weeks, though..
I can guarantee your bird is a cockerel. Note the colored saddle and shoulder feathers your comparison bird lacks. A pullet also wouldn't get that red of a pea comb until right about laying (minimum of 16 weeks). :)

Back
Top Bottom