Three week chick is blowing up like a Balloon!

JeneLar

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 10, 2010
Escondido, CA
I have 5 "easter egger" chicks - like an aracauna from mypetchicken.com, and one looked like it was walking funny - kind of waddling, and I picked her up, and her belly is much larger than the others. The first thing I checked was the vent - for pasting up, but it was clean, and when I put her down, she pooped, and it looked normal. She is still active, though heavier, and not as jumpy as the others. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
How is she doing? I am not sure what it could be. Does she have a swollen abdomen or crop (chest)?

Sometimes the chicks will gorge themselves and their crops look like little golf balls, once they digest the crop goes down.

still big. The encouraging thing is that she is still acting well - eating, drinking, pooping, preening, etc. She just isn't as active as the others. I talked to a vet over the phone, and she thought it might be a partial blockage. I didn't ask her what the treatment for that might be, but I think it would be surgery, and I don't have the money to cover something like that. So we are just all praying for her and hoping for the best. Thanks for your concern.

She finally expired on the 21st. The funny thing is, she didn't appear to be in any distress until the very end. She ate, drank, and pooped and otherwise acted like all the other chicks. I still wonder what it was.

Back
Top Bottom