Three Weeks Of Soft Eggs

Boogiemaam

Chirping
Jun 29, 2020
Riverside, California 92509
I know there are a ton of threads like this. Sorry. I can’t find out how LONG it takes to grow up and make “big girl” eggs with a hard shell. My two barred rocks are 8 months old with no apparent health problems. One lays a beautiful egg everyday, and the other one lays a blob of an egg with yolk every day at weird times like night time, very early morning. If it’s a daytime egg, she walks around with her but sagging trying to get it out. She does. It plops out, and and she is peppy and back to normal instantly. Almost daily. For almost a month. They are free fed layer pellets, cracked corn, dried worms and free range all day. We give them a tortilla to eat every day for fun. Like feeding ducks in the park. the other 8 in our flock are game birds. Pullers same age. Only one layer so far. Please. Help me manage my expectations.

I know there are a ton of threads like this. Sorry. I can’t find out how LONG it takes to grow up and make “big girl” eggs with a hard shell. My two barred rocks are 8 months old with no apparent health problems. One lays a beautiful egg everyday, and the other one lays a blob of an egg with yolk every day at weird times like night time, very early morning. If it’s a daytime egg, she walks around with her but sagging trying to get it out. She does. It plops out, and and she is peppy and back to normal instantly. Almost daily. For almost a month. They are free fed layer pellets, cracked corn, dried worms and free range all day. We give them a tortilla to eat every day for fun. Like feeding ducks in the park. the other 8 in our flock are game birds. Pullers same age. Only one layer so far. Please. Help me manage my expectations.
I would cut out the treats. Anything that isn’t their feed/layer pellets should only be given rarely. A well balanced diet is really the healthiest option.

Are they given oyster shell free choice (for extra calcium)?

Agree with @JustBabyMargo

Could be a lack of calcium from eating something other than laying feed. Add oyster shell & cut treats. Also, you could give her crushed up calcium citrate tablets, but try just the layer feed and oyster shell on the side with no other treats first to see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom