Throwing Feed on the Ground

Sarahfig

Hatching
Jul 17, 2021
Hi all! I am a new chicken owner of 6months. I have 11 chickens. I have tried a basic feeder, then a bucket with rodent waste proof inserts to feed my chickens but continue to feed the wild birds and rats more than my chickens. I've heard of people throwing out feed for the chickens twice a day. I'm at my wits end. I continue to bring the buckets in at night and store my food in metal bins, but more and more food keeps disappearing and more and more rat holes are appearing. Do any of you all feed your chickens that way? And what other advice do you all have to prevent feeding the birds and rats more than my chickens.

I have a cover run and my coop and run are predator proof so nothing can get it.
Another option is poison, which I’m not a fan of because your birds could eat a dead rat that died of poison.

We hava a 40x100ft fenced in run. It would be quit an undertaking to cover and skirt it. I was hoping to avoid that, but I understand that's the most secure way to keep unwanted animals out.

Back
Top Bottom