thumping when candled - is it dead

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by feather2, May 16, 2009.

1. feather2

feather2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    When candled at 12 days there was a mass in the egg that thumped when turned upside down - is it dead.

2. pefferlawchicken

pefferlawchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    ontario, canada
    im not to sure , if hes alive you should see a little movement , dont through the egg away yet let an expert tell you [​IMG] best of luck

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Sorry, I am having a hard time trying to get a good visual of what you are seeing. If you are in doubt about wheter an egg is good or not you are better off to hold onto it to be on the safe side. How does it look in relation to the other eggs you are candling? Can you see any veining or is it just a blob free floating with nothing around it?

4. feather2

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    But it's like there cannot be an air cell since it moves from one end to the other (a a bid mass)

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    At 12 days, you should see some veining and a little movement. If you are not quite sure, I would give it another week. If you still don't see movement then, I would say it died. Good luck! [​IMG]

6. feather2

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    hey, I'm afraid to throw anything out, but this feels like there is a blob (unmoving) in there and I am afraid it will explode. I guess I should candle again? I really do not want to - I hate this determining life or death. does anyone else feel like this is giving birth.... to an animal, but we are involved too. [​IMG]

7. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    i had one like that at 13 days. i took it out. i never saw any movement in it and it just felt wrong. like there was just a ball in there or something. mine didn't have an air cell either.

8. UrbanFarmChix

UrbanFarmChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I had one like that. The blob was larger than the moving chicks in the other eggs so.... I cracked it open. STINK!!!! It had at some point been a developing chick but had died. It was brown and icky fluid filled. I'll only ever open a questionable one like that outside. Hopefully you don't have what I did. [​IMG]

9. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Smell the egg. I had an egg just last night that I questioned and it smelled, very little but it definitely had a smell to it compared to the others. I took it outside and opened it and it was definitely dead, my son quickly covered his mouth and nose because once opened the smell was worse. Glad I pulled it, would hate for that to explode in the bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by