Thunderstorm & lightning

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
I feel like a terrible duck owner.
Forgot to lock the ducks up for the night and then overnight a thunderstorm rolled in with lightning. A little bit ago I looked out the backdoor as lightning flashed. Scared me half to death.

Ducks are now secure inside one of the coops with the chickens. They don't currently have their shelter fixed so they get locked up with the chickens and then moved back to their own yard during the day.

Should I keep them locked up or let them out?
Asking because our chickens don't care about the storm and I don't really want to keep only the ducks locked up if they'll be fine

I'd be very worried about the chickens going after Colonel with his wounds still showing. But how are they acting when out with the chickens during the storm? Mine just hunker down when a storm is going through. And unless it's really bad where lives are in danger I don't put them up.

The ducks probably don't care about the storm, as long as they have a protected place to hide ... but I'd still lock them up simply because of the predator issue. They'll be holed up while the storm rolls through, but will head out to hunt as soon as the worst of it lets up. Your loose, sleeping ducks would be ... well ... sitting ducks!

I'd be very worried about the chickens going after Colonel with his wounds still showing. But how are they acting when out with the chickens during the storm? Mine just hunker down when a storm is going through. And unless it's really bad where lives are in danger I don't put them up.
The chickens aren't locked up with them. They're freely walking around their yard.
Colonel and Duchess are in the coop run underneath the coop.

The ducks probably don't care about the storm, as long as they have a protected place to hide ... but I'd still lock them up simply because of the predator issue. They'll be holed up while the storm rolls through, but will head out to hunt as soon as the worst of it lets up. Your loose, sleeping ducks would be ... well ... sitting ducks!
We don't really get predators during thunderstorms. I always found it odd because I would constantly check the birds

We don't really get predators during thunderstorms. I always found it odd because I would constantly check the birds
It's not during the thunderstorm that you'll get predators ... it's right after, usually while it's still raining. Unfortunately, that's also when the ducks decide to come out of hiding to play in the puddles ... so be watchful!

Back
Top Bottom