Thyroid Disease suffers

Quote:
It certainly can.

I have a hyperactive thyroid, am not currently on anything but an herbal thyroid support product I found on zooscape.com. Presently I'm not having many problems, mainly due to changes in my diet. I also blame soy for many of my symptoms. Since ceasing eating as much soy as I was (I thought it was a good thing, it isn't for some!) my symptoms have abated.

My thyroid problems came from two sources, I believe. First off was I was living an incredibly stressful lifestyle, having had a husband who ran off (thankfully, but it took some time to realize that!) and having to go back to work fulltime to support the household and get benefits. I had two teenage boys at home, one was most definitely not happy with the father situation, and took it out on me. Long story short, my life was a living h-e-double hockey sticks for awhile. Stress does terrible things to the hypothalamus, which is the connection between your nervous system and your endocrine system (thyroid, etc). People really don't give stress enough consideration in their medical issues, it's a huge factor!

I found a great guy, married him, and things seemed to settle down, but continuing problems with the boy child affected me still. Meanwhile, I've always been a good eater, I think diet is extremely important and watch what I eat, make sure it's healthy, although I'm not one to ignore my sweet tooth - that's why I exercise. Anyhoo, I was eating a lot of soy, instead of meat, for protein. Not all the time, but lots. Plus I ate a bowl of cereal for breakfast most mornings with soy milk.

Last summer I suddenly dropped 8.5 lbs in two weeks. That's not good for a person of my size, I've always been thin, I looked like a wraith. My hair was falling out, my skin was dry and netted looking, I couldn't sleep for the night sweats - I was a mess! I went to the doctor and my thyroid levels were off the charts. He felt nodules in my thyroid. Off I went to an endocrinologist for a thyroid scan and biopsy. Edited to add: Oh yea, tremors and exhaustion, I'd forgotten about that!

Ever have a thyroid biopsy? Oh boy. I'm afraid of needles. They numbed my throat - problem is there's not much tissue in your neck to actually numb. It was pretty awful, although I withstood it. Lasted 45 minutes. They used needles and stuck them both sides of my thyroid in eight different places. And it wasn't quick, each needle was wiggled while they watched it on the screen to make sure they were in the right place. Sorry to scare any of you! But it was necessary to make sure those nodules weren't cancerous. Thankfully they weren't. I've got a large nodule (read goiter) on the left side and a smaller one on the right. Of course they wanted to put me on all sorts of meds and some wanted to take my thyroid out, but I'd like to leave this world with all my parts, so I went off and did my own research.

By the time I actually had this biopsy I had cut out most all soy (especially that soy milk every morning, but I was also eating some soy meals from the health food store, and made tofu stir fry quite often) and had started taking Thyroid Support by Terra Vita . Bugleweed has been shown effective for thyroid problems by German herbal researchers. I find it very strange there's nothing like it available here in the US, but then again, why am I surprised?
roll.png
My efforts paid off, thankfully.

The serious symptoms have abated. The doctors have agreed that whatever I'm doing seems to be effective. I've regained the weight, my hair has grown back in (it's never been thick, it's very fine blonde hair, losing it was awful, it's thin enough!), my skin has plumped back up, and the night sweats have turned into the normal hot flashes of menopause. My thyroid levels are high-normal. My migraines have calmed down, too, although I'll still get them when the hormones fluctuate, the way they do when you're going through menopause. I'll continue to be monitored and will keep taking the herbs. I've added a couple of soy based things back that I really liked, and it hasn't caused any problems, so I'll keep eating them, along with the rest of my mostly healthy diet. I do know I need to eat six times a day, though, smaller meals, it helps keep my energy levels steady. I am a Pilates instructor, so I am very active, but I still power walk every morning and work out myself four or five times a week. It keeps me sane, too!
wink.png

My reason for posting here is that there is very little info or support out there for those with hyperthyroidism. People think it's great to lose weight - well, yes, if you're overweight, it's a good thing, but for those of us who have fought the opposite weight problem, not being able to keep weight on, it's no fun at all. Seriously, when you're young and too skinny, you don't have regular periods, you can have issues getting pregnant, it's not a good thing at all. Anyways, that's my story and I'm sticking to it
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
You need an endocrinologist, firem3. I see a good one at St. Vincent's East in Bham; good as in pro-active. I'm in low "normal" range on thyroid, but have lumpy/bumpy thyroid, fullness/choking in throat, weight gain, achy limbs, foggy tiredness, etc. A lot of docs wouldn't have put me on anything, if they were a by-the-book (or by-the-normal-range) kind of doc. But mine is proactive and sees the connected dots.

On the other end of the spectrum, for instance, my sister has the same issue and her doc in Arizona won't prescribe for her. She needs to go look for another. (My mother has it, too. It's genetic for the women in my family.)

My advice: write down all this great advice on this thread, regarding synthroid and Armour meds, & new "normal" thyroid ranges, & ask questions of your doctor. He'll check your levels, do a baseline ultrasound or scan probably, and at least you will see where you are on it. If you have an issue & your doctor's not proactive, find one who is.

But, if you're leaning towards seeing an ENT, my male ENT at Brookwood had his thyroid removed (oddly enough, his thyroid was keeping them from getting pregnant; they were able to have children after removal). So he's definitely "up" on it. Dr. Billy Cornay/Brookwood Hospital. He might suggest an endocrinologist to you that he went to.

i see an ent on tuesday, i imagine its to late to try to change appointments now. who is your dr at st. v east?

Sent you an email, firem3!

Micki,

I have been diagnosed long before I ever took the med. I just started taking the meds since Aug but not faithfully.

I take Mexathrex which is a form of Chemo for my RA and it wipes out my immune system. I take 6 pills one day a week and the next day I'm in bed all day long.

I had Mono when I was 24 and was in bed for 6 weeks. I have had problems every since. My Rheumatologist says that was probably what caused the RA.

jackie

I had Mono when I was 24 and was in bed for 6 weeks.

man. :aww

me too... I have CAEBV and four or five other autoimmune problems. Thanking God daily I don't have RA too.​

ok folks i found an old lab report for some RA tests from 2007 the tsh level is 2.413 what does it mean? high low or not enough info without the t-3 and t-4

I'm all for treating naturally first. So many prescription meds ruin other organs in your body trying to help one.
You see commercials all the time on TV from lawyers. Have you been taking --------? Have you been hospitalized for---------- as a result of taking-------?
My parents take a gallon bucket of meds and it angers me. Some doctors are just certified drug pushers.

whoops, I made a typo somehow... or just remembered it wrong!

I decided to look it up to make sure....

The new TSH range is not 0.3 - 1.03

it's 0.3 to 3.03

(I think the reason I got it mixed up -- I had been reading about a group of experts who would like to narrow it even further to somewhere around 1.03.)

So 2.413 is just fine!

My sincere apologies to everyone who was freaking out about their levels!!!

I went back and edited to "3.03" any posts that said "1.03"

Last edited:
Reinbeau...THANKS for all that great info. I find my cyclical migraines, weight loss/gain (its a yoyo really), hair loss/brittleness, fogginess, insomnia, exhaustion, and skin dryness may all be connected to my thyroid.

Have others noticed their menstrual cycles changing with their thyroid diagnosis? Mine is 24 hours and that is IT. I have a migraine ovulation time and then again after my 24 hour monthly period...when it subsides.

I'm going to try the supplement Thyroid Support. I'll report back after 2 weeks on how I feel!!!!

Last edited:
I'm going to try the supplement Thyroid Support. I'll report back after 2 weeks on how I feel!!!!

excellent idea cheeptrick!​

Where do you find the cimmamon pills? Vitamin section?

I need to try something to get my sugar level down. The dr gave me Byetia. That was one of those medicine the lawyers having commercial about this medicine.

jackie

Back
Top Bottom