Thyroid Disease suffers

You can make your own cinnamon capsules using a regular can of cinnamon and veggie caps purchased online or at a health food store.

Quote:
I always thought it was hyper=lose weight and hypo=gain weight. That's how it worked for me. I lost almost 50 pounds in maybe a month if that, when my thyroid went hyper, and gained about the same, in as much time, when it got killed by the radio-iodine.

Hyper gains weight?

YES , absolutely you can gain weight when you are hyper , even though weight loss is the more common symptom, and this is how my doctor explained it to me why some hyper people gain weight instead of losing weight.

Hyperthyroidism , while increasing your metabolism also increases your APPETITE and if you are one of those people like me , who had severe hyperthyroidism, because of the increased heart rate and blood pressure you are so tired all the time that your activity level drops off to nothing. I get this , walking across the room made me tired, i was a slug . So even though your metabolism is increased, with you eating more, yet being very lazy and tired you still eat more calories than the increased metabolism will burn off.

My weight went up when i was hyper and decreased when I was on medications to treat it. Actually , before I was treated I swung from my normal 120 to 150 to 120 back up to 155, down again to 120 ,repeatedly as the hormone levels varied which is common with hyper. Now that my thyroid is under control I am 125 and have no more huge weight swings.​

Quote:
YES , absolutely you can gain weight when you are hyper , even though weight loss is the more common symptom, and this is how my doctor explained it to me why some hyper people gain weight instead of losing weight.

Hyperthyroidism , while increasing your metabolism also increases your APPETITE and if you are one of those people like me , who had severe hyperthyroidism, because of the increased heart rate and blood pressure you are so tired all the time that your activity level drops off to nothing. I get this , walking across the room made me tired, i was a slug . So even though your metabolism is increased, with you eating more, yet being very lazy and tired you still eat more calories than the increased metabolism will burn off.

My weight went up when i was hyper and decreased when I was on medications to treat it. Actually , before I was treated I swung from my normal 120 to 150 to 120 back up to 155, down again to 120 ,repeatedly as the hormone levels varied which is common with hyper. Now that my thyroid is under control I am 125 and have no more huge weight swings.

I would definitely agree with the increased appetite...I was starved to death constantly, but yet I ate like a horse!! Once they got the heads out of their (Ahem)'s and put me on meds, I gained 20 pounds in like a month!! Then like I said before, I gained another 50 at least, after they zapped it...

walking across the room made me tired,

This can be quite true. When I was in China, a doctor there doubled my thyroid meds by mistake, so I was taking 4 grains.

I was always soooo tired! And I dropped like a pound a day. I thought it was 'cause of the temps in the 90's and humidity in the 90's too, but when I came home it continued.

I purchased a few months worth of the meds 'cause they were SO cheap over there, and took the same dosage at home for 2 months w/o realizing they were doubled.

When I ran out of those meds I went to my doctor to get U.S. meds, and she insisted on testing my TSH. I basically had no TSH at all.

She took away all my thyroid meds. I was sooo upset. I said "do you have any idea what that's going to do to me?!" She just shrugged. I gained 70 pounds in 6 months.
Nobody recognizes me when they see pictures of me that were taken at that time. It's truly shocking - the change in just a few months w/o any thyroid meds.

It's five years later and I've lost only 35 pounds of that weight, and still struggling.

(OMG... a humongous spider just crawled across my screen!) :mad:

Last edited:
Well, my experience was I was hungry (I'm always hungry, that comes with being hyperactive, nevermind a hyper thyroid) nothing was being absorbed, so I lost weight. It's not a good way to lose weight! Thankfully everything has stabilized, now I'm dealing with the 'meno-pot' that comes with the territory of being 52.

Back
Top Bottom