Tick control

I'm on an acre in a development. Lot of big trees in the rear of the yard. The grass got rather long and my daughter used the old ride on to cut it. Later that eve she said she had a brown patch on her stomach. Then she says "Mom, it has legs!" It was a lone star tick that had its head stuck in. SO GROSS!!! I got it out but she still has a large red bump. Thankfully it wasn't filled with blood yet.

So we researched it and not only can lone stars carry various diseases, but they can also cause a person to become allergic to red meat! They pass this substance called "alpha-gal" to the blood which then causes the body to produce anti bodies to it. Well, red meat also has "alpha-gal" so when eaten it produces an allergic reaction which can be as severe as anaphylaxis. And the reaction doesn't occur until 2 - 6 hours after eating the meat.

I purchased a pyrethrin spray that is meant for clothes and gear. It says it kills ticks. I am going to spray her lawn cutting clothes with it. I wonder if you could spray pyrethrin around the windows and door where you see the ticks. I would almost prefer deer ticks since at least antibiotics will work against lyme disease. Nothing works against "alpha-gal" I would die if I couldn't eat red meat again. Thankfully my daughter hasn't shown any ill effects from her encounter. I got it off in time. Now I'm going to look into getting the property treated. We also have found out that deer have been jumping the fence and eating plants in the yard. I'm sure they have been bringing deer ticks in with them.
Here's one just before feasting on the big hosta.
View attachment 1802128
Did you save the tick in case you need to bring her to the doctor. I’ve read a lot of doctors won’t believe you when you say you think you’re having a reaction to a tick bite, so they’ll be more likely to treat you and take you seriously if they see the actual tick. Also the tick can be tested sometimes.

This is a great idea! I might try it just before dusk so it will hopefully be easier to get them back into their coop. I do have large raptors though, so that’s a concern.
I do as well but when i am out with them they don’t seem to even want to try it! And i either do it the hour before sunset or i use black oily seeds to lure them back in! Seems to work for us!

Did you save the tick in case you need to bring her to the doctor. I’ve read a lot of doctors won’t believe you when you say you think you’re having a reaction to a tick bite, so they’ll be more likely to treat you and take you seriously if they see the actual tick. Also the tick can be tested sometimes.

Yes, I have the tick in a plastic bag. It's very flat, I think I caught it very early.

Here's the bite a week later:
tick bite.jpg

I don't have any trouble getting my chickens to go back in. The sun going down will do it. But if I want them in earlier, I bring out a plate of scrambled eggs.
We don't notice ticks in our yard, could it be because the 7 chickens free range about 8 hours a day? They range over about an acre, around and around. I think mowing the grass helps, ticks are more likely to be in the longer grasses beyond the yard. We don't go into the pasture beyond without spraying our boots. And we avoid the woods during summer.
There are several tick borne illnesses. If you have any signs like fever, headache, see a Dr. right away!
There are tick removal tools that safely pull out ticks...we like this one and have several.
a tick tool.png

That sounds like a great way to get them acclimated to free-ranging!

I found more ticks this morning, this time crawling at my front door and on the exterior of the coop. What in the world is going on? All deer ticks from the looks of it. My skin is crawling just thinking about ticks. I was born and raised in a big city, so ticks never crossed my mind. I know ticks are no big deal to a lot of people but UGH I’m creeped out.
I find ticks on me all the time- trust me it’s always a big deal!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom