Tick?

5henhouse

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Northern California
Hello everyone,
So I've noticed this protrusion in my white silkie hen for about 2-3 weeks now. Do ticks remain that long? I pulled on it pretty hard and it didn't come out. I even put a lighter to it a couple times. Could it just be a weird hair follicle? It's all black and nasty looking around it. She has been broody for about a month now, so maybe she's not cleaning herself well. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Are you sure it's been in the same spot for that long? That would be very unusual for any kind of tick. It's very hard to tell from the pic but it does look a bit like a poultry tick. I'm wondering if maybe you're seeing different ticks over time. Does it look like the pictures below? Check the nesting material well and try to see if there are any more. Also look carefully around your chickens and especially the roosts tonight right after sunset to see if there are ticks emerging from crevices. You're near the northern edge of their distribution, but after seeing your pic, I'd want to rule them out for sure.

56638_redbug1.jpg

It's definitely the same spot, which is suspect. Would I see the legs? The pictures make the tick look slightly flatish- her nodule is round and almost pointy.

I think Kelsie2290 is right, you're probably seeing the oil gland, that's right about where it should be. They do look strange, don't they?
lol.png

Oh my gosh you are so right!!! Poor thing, I tried to burn it out like a tick!! Glad I came on here before I did anything else! Thanks for you help everyone. I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom