Ticket Question! Will my license be pulled?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by first time farmer, Dec 4, 2010.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I was pulled over on friday night doing 85 in a 65. I know that is bad and every thing. I was given a summons (ticket) for 258.33. I am going to pay the ticket. But im woundering if they are going to take my license. This is my first traffic offence.

edited by moderator

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    They shouldn't take your license, but you need to take the class so you won't get the points on your license. They would make your insurance sky rocket and too many of them can cause your license to be taken away.

3. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Its 4 points I belive and i am definatly taking the class my insurance is already high enough.

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Have you thought about pleading not guilty and seeing if they lower the points and just giv ey ou a parking summons?
    Before anyone jumps down my throat - it is VERY common here to plea a ticket down to just a parking violation that carries a heavy fine.
    Ask me how I know - a DH with three motorcycles and a job working in a dealership.............

5. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I really dont have a defence though I was going 85 and I knew I was going 85. How could I plead not guilty?

6. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Not sure about where you are - my DH didn't need a defense, just pled not guilty, twice he hired a lawyer who got it down to a $200 parking ticket
    Then, he went without a lawyer twice and got the same thing.
    He just pled not guilty - they had never seen him in court before ( Iguess that helps) and he had a clean driving record, no prior points, no tickets.
    Have you thought about getting a lawyer to do it? The lawyer told my DH that he was better off not going, just to let the lawyer go, because if the officer who gives the ticket is there, he'll remember you - if youdon't go, the police don't remember who you are and they plead down the ticket.
    Again, quite common here. The reason they plea them down - if he just paid the speeding ticket - the state of NY gets the money - if he pleads not guilty and goes to town court, the TOWN gets the money

Big difference - They actually EXPECT you to plead not guilty so they can make money on the ticket

7. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Well, only working part time I dont heve money to higher a lawyer and still have to pay lol but i can pay the ticket. Which is what I think im going to do. Im just worried that I am going to get my license pulled. I am in New Hampshire and I was pulled over by the state police.

edited by moderator

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    In most states, you won't lose your license for your first offense for simple speeding. If you were driving reckless and caused a lot of damage or injuries, were on drugs/medications, or had a certain type of medial issue, then that would be another story.

In my state, you could pay the fine and go to traffic school and that would leave the ticket off your record, but if you get one within the next three years, it would go on your record. I don't know how it is in your state.

Or, you can go to court and contest it, but that's a lot more risky and if you lose, you can't go to traffic school and it will end up on your record. But, many people have gone this route and won. They just did their research.

9. jerseygirl1

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Ha, my DH last ticket was the NY State Police
    Unsafe lane changing
    He pled not guilty, had a one year wait for the court date
    Went in and paid $100 parking ticket instead
    What's the worst that could happen if you pled not guilty? The $258.33 fine?

10. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:The thing is its 20 over the posted speed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by