Tickled with feeder and waterer!

Ecto04

Songster
May 1, 2019
0085DCBC-5878-4B9F-A25C-A56A3687E5EE.png 9F0A2C0B-D95C-4F89-9729-8CE2A5DDA7CA.png
I just got a feeder and waterer for my 8 week old buff orpingtons and Rhode Island Reds. They took to them immediately! I was pleasantly surprised. I had visions of trying to “teach” them but all I had to do was tap on the water nipples a couple of times to show them. With the feeder, I put a few crumbles along the edge to draw them over. Before long their heads were all the way in chowing down. Hurray!

Last edited:
I was wondering if you could use something like a submersible aquarium heater when it gets below freezing. I will check out this deicer.
Some people do use a submersible aquarium heater and love them. I researched those heaters and decided they were not the best fit for me for several reasons. First, the ones I researched keep the water at a constant 78 degrees. The chickens do not need water that warm. The water just needs to stay liquid. Some people get partially around this problem by using a thermal cube. Second, those heaters were designed to heat water in a room that is about 70 degrees. The outside here gets down to -22 F in winter. I am not sure how efficient the aquarium heater would be in low temperatures. You also have to be careful to never allow the water level to get below the heater. If you are gone for a few days that might be an issue.

My system is very similar to blackdog043's system. We just use different containers for our water. I use a tote that holds about 10 gallons of water with horizontal nipples. We both use a stock tank deicer that is rated for use in plastic. My deicer cost about $42. It has just completed its 4th Montana winter without letting the water freeze. It turns on when the water temperature goes below 35 degrees. It turns off when the water temperature gets above 45 degrees. What I like best about my water system is that I only have it filled once a week although it could last longer. I am 68 and don't go out in the deep snow and cold anymore. I hire someone to come feed and water the girls once a week during winter.

Back
Top Bottom