Ticks

damarisgw

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Ok so I have 2 poodles and a schnorkie .
All three stayed inside when they gets baths but ever since my brother and his family moved in they said my dogs give them allergies and what not
they stay outside now .
Well the thing is I give them all a bath once a week with flea and tick shampoo and spray them with flea and tick spray.
Well today I gave my schnorkie a bath and found easily 20 ticks on her !!!
She has inch long hair like a yorkie and the poodles are shaved down in their summer cut.
The thing is they had NO fleas or ticks at all . ( Ok well just one flea but the shampoo had killed it )
What's going on ????
Is it because the schnorkie has long hair ?
The exterminator came in may whats up with all these ticks ?

I don't have any comment on why one has ticks and the others don't, but I just wanted to say it's sad they have to stay outside of their house now because you had family move in.
sad.png
And I'd recommend getting a monthly flea and tick treatment from your vet. It's safer and more effective than frequent flea baths, and frequent baths aren't that great.

I used to use Frontline for my mostly indoor Chesapeake Bay Retriever but had to switch over to a new pill called Comfortis because the fleas and ticks became immune to the Frontline. She has an awful allergy to flea bites so I HAD to have something that worked. You have to get it from the vet but, man, it works! First you feed your dog (they have to have food in their stomach) then you give them the Comfortis. In 4 hours every flea is dead! I'm not sure the ticks die that fast but they die!

I hope this will help, you can use some of these side by side with meds if you want:

http://www.easy-homemade-recipes.com/flea-repellent.html

Also if you have any diatomaceous earth, try that on your dogs. According to Mother Earth News "Diatomaceousearth is a type of fossilized algae that resembles chalk dust. The fine, sharp-edged particles attach themselves to and penetrate the waxy coating on a flea's shell-like exoskeleton, causing the little bloodsucker to dehydrate and die." http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1985-05-01/Natural-Flea-Control.aspx?page=3

Last edited:
Why would you have to kick your dogs out. Why not have your brother go?
I am all for helping family, but my pets are my family too.
The small breeds you have are not ment to be outside dogs.

DE works to a degree. I am battleing fleas at the moment. I fogged the house and each time I did the fleas got worse. I bombed 2 days in a row and then waited a day before doing it again. Right now my whole house is nothing but DE dust. I still have fleas and it has been 3 days.

Sage and rosemary are supposed to repel fleas and ticks from your dog. Hang a little sache bag of them around the dogs collars and they should help if not eliminate the parasites. Sad they have to stay outside due to folks moving in...but I agree humans are first priority. Still stinks though. Poor pups!

Thanks for the advice everyone I think it's because they like to dig up the dirt under the trees and sleep there

Quote:
I had two now I only have one and yes she loves to eat ticks and crickets actually anything that moves .
Ever since my brother brought his untrained crazy dogs to live with us too they have killed 3 of my chickens and 1 guinea
hit.gif

And of course my brother could care less

So wait your brother has dogs but you can't keep your dogs inside because of allergies? Sorry but I think I'd have your brother sleep in the barn with his untrained dogs.

Otherwise I'd get them some Frontline which seems to work well on my cats and dog. They've never had a tick ever. Vet said that Frontline kills them before they even bite the animal so that's why I use it on my critters. I have a cat with severe flea allergies so she's always on Frontline.

Also I'd get some DE and sprinkle it where the dogs generally sleep. Cut your grasses back and clear any brush and piles of leaves where ticks might hang out. Oils from cedarwood, lemongrass, peppermint, rosemary or thyme have all been shown to be effective to keep fleas and ticks off pets but it doesn't last long and you have to reapply consistently but maybe if the dogs sleep in a dog house or specific area you could spray the oils in those areas.

Back
Top Bottom