Ticks

Lille

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 2, 2011
This is really a preventative medicine question:

None of my hens have ticks, but last year was a very bad year in my area for ticks. I've read an article in the newspaper ( for what that's worth ) that this year is expected to be just as bad, or worse, than last year.

I'm curious if that's something I should be concerned about with my birds. Is there some form of recommended preventive measure that I should take in the early spring to protect them against ticks ?

Thank you !

Do keep an eye on your chickens though - I have seen posts on here about the ticks getting the chickens instead of the chickens getting the ticks! And if you do start seeing them on the chickens, I'd search here for tick prevention.

I never thought ticks were a problem until one attached itself right under my silkie hen's eye. Her eye was almost sucked out of the socket. Blood and pus were oozing out. I removed the tick with tweezers and applied Terramicyn eye ointment to the "empty" eye socket. A few days later her eye reappeared and was back to normal. Now I dust them all with 5% sevin.

Back
Top Bottom