TICKS!!!!

GwenM

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Bucks County, PA
We just bought 6 baby chicks 2 weeks ago, and they are currently living in my basement. We have a huge tick problem that every time we go out we all end up with at least 5 ticks on us. We usually use SEVIN spray on the whole yard. My question is, will this be safe to use around chickens?

The chicks will not be moving into the coop for at least a couple of weeks, but I dont want to spray something that will hurt the chicks. I know I have read several thing that chickens are great tick control, but with my girls being only 2 weeks and we have only 6 chicks and 3/4 acre I dont think they will be able to get all of the ticks.

Any help would be appreciated!!!

My experience is limited but here is my story. Last summer I purchased Mt. Healthy hatchery bargain 75 cockerals and 25 pullets. We spent the summer in a fifth wheel RV and as soon as I was able to get the chicks outside and under the RV the tick and ant problem disappeared. scatter scratch around the area to get them use to looking on the ground and I led them to different parts of the lawn to search for ticks scattering a little scratch as I went.
lots of hawks in the area, so the chicks need shrubs to hide under when they fly by.
good luck tick hunting.

The chicks will be fine when they go on the sevin treated lawn in a few weeks. I use 5% sevin on my chickens. I once bought chicks from someone and they were covered with lice. I used 5% sevin on them with no ill effects.

I used sevin on my chickens too.Spray sbould be ok.Would just avoid granules.I hate ticks.I let my dogs roam so they pick them up,and then I can get them off the dogs easy.

Back
Top Bottom