Tidbitting moulting hen

ChickenClaw03

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
Australia
Hi,

My hen, Phoenix (first in the pecking order) has started tidbitting behaviour when food she perceives as ‘yummy’ is present (the other hens come and steal the food).
The strange part is I have no roosters, who I thought only did tidbitting behaviour, while the other hens lower in the pecking order have copied her behaviour.

Phoenix doesn’t eat the food herself, which isn’t great because she’s having a heavy moult.

Anyone have any ideas about the behaviour, is it normal for hens to do this?

Here’s the little scrappy hen

FD266647-B5CC-4866-B8A7-AB13B3E1D6F2.jpeg

It's pretty common for some hens to tidbit for the lower ranked ladies. At the moment I'm without a rooster, and I have 3 ladies who are doing it. They'll even call the other hens when they find a good spot to lay eggs. :)
I don't seem to notice them doing it as much when I have roosters in the flock, but that could just be coincidental. :)

It's pretty common for some hens to tidbit for the lower ranked ladies. At the moment I'm without a rooster, and I have 3 ladies who are doing it. They'll even call the other hens when they find a good spot to lay eggs. :)
I don't seem to notice them doing it as much when I have roosters in the flock, but that could just be coincidental. :)
The funniest part is my higher ranking hen is the smallest in the flock. Good to know her behaviour is normal.
C3DD5699-186F-4CC5-A325-FC9FB58FF451.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom