time between squatting and egg arrival?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SparksNV, Nov 28, 2010.

1. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    Stats on my birds:

Name Hatch Date Squat Age Age 1st Egg Breed Age as of 11/28

Cabo 4/28 26 wk, 4 days 27 wk, 2 days Orp x Del 30 wk, 4 days
    Sassy 5/1 25 wk, 1 day 26 wk, 2 days Orp x Del 30 wk, 1 day
    Verde 5/1 26 wk NONE YET Orp x EE 30 wk, 1 day
    Flower 5/19 26 wk, 1 day NONE YET Orp x EE 27 wk, 4 days
    Chuck 5/19 NO SQUAT NONE YET Orp x EE 27 wk, 4 days
    Meringue 5/19 26 wk, 6 days NONE YET Orp x EE 27 wk, 4 days

As it is, I get 0-2 eggs per day, supplement with light, absolutely sure there are no hidden nests. There is some interest in the nest boxes by Flower and Chuck. Only Chuck's comb/wattle is not fully developed but is progressively getting there. I know hens develop on their own time schedule. I just think it is odd that I have one that has been squatting for 4 weeks now and no eggs...

I have read average time between squat and egg is about 1 maybe 2 weeks, but 4 weeks??!! Come on.....
  2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Our RIR and BOs were hand me down hens, so I only have two that I have experience with. Martha Stewart (EE) laid at 30 1/2 weeks and started squatting about two weeks before that. Her sis, Georgia O'Keefe, started squatting a week after her and laid three weeks after her, so she took 4 weeks from squat to egg. Georgia's comb still isn't as bright red as any of the layers but is very obviously giving us an aqua egg a day just like her sis! But Georgia is the squattingous thing, I can say hello to her through the mesh and she squats. [​IMG] I wish you the best when it comes to egg shade! I really lucked out and feel that the wait was definitely worth it. [​IMG] Of course their awesome personalities are a big bonus as well. They had a great disposition before they started to mature and then when they started laying they went back to being cuddly & friendly. I guess that is due to a normal adolescent/teenage phase. Wish our fully grown RIR/BO hens were as productive as our friendly little EE pullets!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by