Time for a swim!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by GeneviaJ, Mar 25, 2011.

1. GeneviaJ

GeneviaJ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    I got 2 khaki campbell ducklings on Wed when they were 1 day old, they are 4 days old now. When can they go for their first swim? I've heard that they can swim their first few days, and I've also heard to wait a month or so. So, when is it safe for them to tread water?
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:they -can- swim after they get dry hatching and can walk-

BUT THEY CAN DROWN, they are not water proof untill they have full feathering and if they get tired as chicks and they stop swimming they -may- waterlog and die.

(also they need somewhere warm after the swim to dry off and warm up)
  3. GeneviaJ

GeneviaJ Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2011
    OK, thanks. So, I guess I'll wait until they get their feathers. Also...is it normal for them to sleep more than the chicks? They sleep quite a bit. They are still eating & drinking fine though.
  4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Ducks grow wicked fast. So yeah, they get sleepy easy. And they can swim after they are a day or so old. Just start out with short swims, dry them off well and put them back in the warm brooder.
  5. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    My ducklings went for their first swim at 6 days old. I had my hands in with them, so they could perch if they got tired. Just supervise them the whole time. The bath should last 5-10 minutes. After the bath dry them off with a towel, and put them back in the brooder. They shouldn't have swimming water available 24/7 until they have their feathers. [​IMG] Oh, and yes they sleep a lot!!! It's because they are growing, so they need lots of rest to catch up with their little bodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by