Time for nighttime coop integration?

KendraLeigh

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2020
Hello All! I've been working this last month on integrating 4 chicks (now 9 wks) with 2 pullets (5 mos). I have been working on this since the chicks were 4 wks old, and just this last week the older ones finally stopped bullying the younger ones, and I no longer have to keep the younger ones in a separate enclosure in the run. The older ones still chase them a bit, but it's very halfhearted, and I now trust them all together without supervision during the day. A big step forward! I got some good advice here about "clutterizing" my run and it has worked!

My question is this: can I begin to let them all mingle in the coop at night? Currently the younger ones are in a small crate of their own inside the coop at night (thanks to everyone who helped me figure out this part!). During the day they hang out in the coop with no apparent problems with the older pullets (except the younger ones poop in the nesting boxes - the older pullets aren't laying yet). It is really becoming a hassle trying to round up the younger ones and get them into the crate, though I'm willing to continue doing it if the resident experts here deem that it is still too early or risky to put them all together at night. Thank you in advance!

How dark is your coop at night? Can they see to move around? If it is truly dark where the chicks are not going to be attacked at night, I'd go for it. Just be down there at daybreak to see how it is going and open the pop door.

That's basically how I do it. With my coop and my other techniques it's never been an issue but your flock and your coop are different from mine. I don't know how many times I've done this with it never being problem but I still think it is prudent to be down there the first day or two just to be sure.

If your coop isn't that dark then make it dark if you can, and then try it.

During the day they hang out in the coop with no apparent problems with the older pullets

If they are together in the coop during the day, and there are no problems, then they should be fine in that same space during the night.

If they have access to a run in the daytime, but are shut in the coop at night, then that is a bit different situation, because it forces them into a smaller space together.

How dark is your coop at night? Can they see to move around? If it is truly dark where the chicks are not going to be attacked at night, I'd go for it. Just be down there at daybreak to see how it is going and open the pop door.

That's basically how I do it. With my coop and my other techniques it's never been an issue but your flock and your coop are different from mine. I don't know how many times I've done this with it never being problem but I still think it is prudent to be down there the first day or two just to be sure.

If your coop isn't that dark then make it dark if you can, and then try it.

Thanks! It is very dark, almost totally. I'll have to make sure I set my alarm for the next morning haha.

If they are together in the coop during the day, and there are no problems, then they should be fine in that same space during the night.

If they have access to a run in the daytime, but are shut in the coop at night, then that is a bit different situation, because it forces them into a smaller space together.

They have access to a run during the day. What I meant is they all will go in and out of the coop during the day - but they are not shut up inside it together.

If they are hard to round up, they are telling you they are fine. I leave the dog crate open in my coop for a while, until I see them up on the roost. The big girls could get into the dog crate, but they don't. The chicks bed down in a nest for a couple of weeks, and then begin to work their way up onto the roost.

If they are not going automatically to their nest, they are ready to move on to the next step.

Note: I would put something in or in front of the nests, until they quit trying to roost there. It would be best to do that before your older ones begin laying. But even if they start laying, then just block the nests just before dark, and open them up in the morning.

Mrs k

If they are hard to round up, they are telling you they are fine. I leave the dog crate open in my coop for a while, until I see them up on the roost. The big girls could get into the dog crate, but they don't. The chicks bed down in a nest for a couple of weeks, and then begin to work their way up onto the roost.

If they are not going automatically to their nest, they are ready to move on to the next step.

Note: I would put something in or in front of the nests, until they quit trying to roost there. It would be best to do that before your older ones begin laying. But even if they start laying, then just block the nests just before dark, and open them up in the morning.

Mrs k

Thanks! I may try this tonight. My problem is I start to get nervous as soon as it's dusk, and jump the gun in putting them in the coop for the night. One issue I have is that if the chicks go into the coop but not their separate crate inside it, I can't really get in there to put them in their separate crate, as the coop is an old doghouse I converted and while it works great as a coop for chickens, it's not idea for the chicken owner trying to round up the little guys. So I've been putting the chicks into their separate crate earlier, before they go into the coop. Good idea about blocking the nests at night!

Where do the youngers go at night, if you don't try to put them in the crate?
Pics of run and coop, inside and out, might help here.

I put the youngers go into a crate that I put in the coop that I lock up at night. During the day the coop is open and all the chickens, younger and older, can go in and out of it as they please. I think I have the issue figured out - thanks!

Back
Top Bottom