Time for them to go outside! Question about adding 6 week olds to 14 week old pullets?

salsss

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2016
Adirondacks, NY
Our big coop is ready this weekend! And our 10-6 week old EE chicks are ready to go outside. We now have 6 older Golden Comet pullets (14 weeks old) in our little TSC temp coop outside...and plan to house them all together in the big coop.

Can I put them all together in the big coop, with a "safe hut" for the little ones? They outnumber the big girls...and seem to be more feisty than them. The TSC coop is pretty small for 10...I thought of putting the brooder (a huge dog kennel) in the coop with the door wired open just wide enough for the little ones to enter.

I'm new to this and wondering if the plan will work?? Of course I'll be there to supervise for as long as it takes to make sure they're all okay.

The big coop has plenty of room and has an attached run that is predator proof.

You could divide the coop for a few weeks or just try it and see how it goes. I personally like a fence between groups so they get used to seeing each, as well as having some where for them to go so I know they are safe. I let mine mingle when I can supervise and separate when I can't, until I feel everyone can mostly get along.

And they're in!! The big girls failed to get into the coop at sundown; I had to put them in. A bit of a kerfuffle but they're all quiet and sleeping now!!! I have a pen in the run too....when I let the little ones loose in the pen/coop, I'll prop the doors just so they (only) can get in...a safe house!!

Back
Top Bottom