time of day for eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jfoley, Mar 26, 2011.

1. jfoley

jfoley Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    new to this so i will be asking a lot of ? are eggs from a hen layed at a certain time of day. morn. afternoon- night. or just when they feel like it.

thanks jfoley
    spring hill fl.[​IMG]

2. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm not an expert, I only started getting eggs about a month ago. But mine lay anywhere from 7 am to around noon, with most coming around 10 am. I have had a few eggs as late as 3pm, but most are laid before noon.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    just when they feel like it!! [​IMG]
    really it all depends, mostly mornings tho. [​IMG]

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Our production reds and ISA Brown's have always begun lining up for the nesting boxes at 6:30 am and all have finished by 9:30. I collect at 10 am. Done. The various strains of red hens seem to have this down.

Had Black Sex Links that laid throughout the day, but the straggler was no later than 3:30 pm.

5. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Ours seem to have a pattern down. We can gather eggs around 3 or 4 and always seem to get them all that way.

6. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    They usually lay closer to every 25-26 hours, not every 24. So, beginning early in the morning, the time of day usually progresses over the next couple of days until she is laying mid-afternoon. After that, she 'resets', which usually takes a day, and then starts over again in early morning.

7. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:I agree with this...

8. Saroco

Saroco Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my hens layed at 11:00 exactly every day.... Then she switched to around 9:00am.

9. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    All day long, I can go out to the coop (25 hens) and find an egg or more almost any hour until dusk. No early layers, they are up a couple three hours before lines form for the nest boxes.

10. indio

indio Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2011
    Until daylight savings time kicked in, my girls used to be so regular I could set my clock to chicken time. Now I get eggs anywhere from 9-11:00am. No afternoon layers in this flock. when the new chicks come online, I hope they will follow the cycle the other girls have set.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by