Time Of Day Hens Lay Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by swtamour, Apr 2, 2009.

1. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    I just bought 3 RIR at 8 weeks old. I've been reading about the egg laying song so I'm concern that they will lay eggs in the late evening or the middle of the night. I have neighbors close by so I'm concern about the loudness of the egg laying song. Also, if they chirp a lot now, does that indicate a talkative hen? I have two that chirps a lot while the third one is mostly quiet. Thanks.

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have 19 hens. They start about 8 AM and are usually done by noon or 1. Of coarse not all hens habits are the same but that is how mine are.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Middle of the night would be VERY unusual. Don't use a white light during the night, or only for a couple of hours in the evening. Mine lay all day but mostly in the morning, never when it is dark out.

Don't know about the chirping.

4. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Hello and [​IMG] !!

They won't lay at night, so you don't have to worry about that. But they will likely lay at different times during the day. I get eggs at 7AM and sometimes at 5PM. Just depends.

And I don't think the chirping will be any indication to how chatty they are. All of mine chirped like crazy as peeps. My hamburgs and leghorns are the loudest now. The others don't make much noise at all. It's probably depends more on the breed - and even more on the individual chicken.

5. swtamour

swtamour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the quick response, everyone is so nice here. Ok, I'm fine with them doing it during daylight hours.

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    My hens usually lay between 9am - 2pm

7. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Mine lay from about 8am to about 2pm.

8. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    Exactly how loud is the egg laying song? Is it really loud, or the clucking I'm thinking of whe I think of chickens clucking...[​IMG]

9. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chickens lay eggs about every 25 to 26 hours (daylight only). Thus they MAY gradually lay later and later in the the day and then skip a day.

Where do you live?? I live on the Peninsula. Do you belong to SVchickens.com?

Cindy

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I have 1 that lays before noon. The rest lay around 3-5pm and 1 seems to be laying right before going on the roosts. They won't usually lay after dark. If there's alot of street lights or you have a heat lamp or other light on in the coop over night they might but they are still usually quieter about such things at night. If it's completely dark they won't even get off the roosts at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by