Time Of Day Hens Lay Eggs?

swtamour

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Silicon Valley
I just bought 3 RIR at 8 weeks old. I've been reading about the egg laying song so I'm concern that they will lay eggs in the late evening or the middle of the night. I have neighbors close by so I'm concern about the loudness of the egg laying song. Also, if they chirp a lot now, does that indicate a talkative hen? I have two that chirps a lot while the third one is mostly quiet. Thanks.

Middle of the night would be VERY unusual. Don't use a white light during the night, or only for a couple of hours in the evening. Mine lay all day but mostly in the morning, never when it is dark out.

Don't know about the chirping.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
!!

They won't lay at night, so you don't have to worry about that. But they will likely lay at different times during the day. I get eggs at 7AM and sometimes at 5PM. Just depends.

And I don't think the chirping will be any indication to how chatty they are. All of mine chirped like crazy as peeps. My hamburgs and leghorns are the loudest now. The others don't make much noise at all. It's probably depends more on the breed - and even more on the individual chicken.

Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Chickens lay eggs about every 25 to 26 hours (daylight only). Thus they MAY gradually lay later and later in the the day and then skip a day.

Where do you live?? I live on the Peninsula. Do you belong to SVchickens.com?

Cindy

I have 1 that lays before noon. The rest lay around 3-5pm and 1 seems to be laying right before going on the roosts. They won't usually lay after dark. If there's alot of street lights or you have a heat lamp or other light on in the coop over night they might but they are still usually quieter about such things at night. If it's completely dark they won't even get off the roosts at night.

Back
Top Bottom