Time Of Day Hens Lay Eggs?

Do you have chickens yet or are you just "dreaming"?? LOL!!!

BYC is definitely the best site for everything that you want to know about raising chickens!!!

However, if you want to link up with LOCAL chicken folks -- I suggest that you join www.SVchickens.com . The folks can tell you where to buy chicks, the best local chicken vets, etc.

Cindy

Yes, I bought 3 RIR about 2 weeks ago from a petting farm in San Jose. And yes, I'm also "dreaming" of having more but my backyard is small.

Quote:
The girls absolutly brag at the top of their lungs. Not quite rooster loud, but I do wonder about this as a survival technique. They lay the egg and then walk away announcing the fact at the top of their little lungs. If I was a fox, I would be waiting for the announcement.

Loud, yes, as loud as a dog barking, not even close!

mine lay at all differant times..we do get the majority of the eggs in the am (by 10 am)..but a few will also lay in the afternoon.

The "egg song" makes me laugh every time I hear it. What is even louder and sillier is the "you're in *my* nest HURRY UP"
rant.gif
conversations that they have. Don't even THINK about trying to clean out the nest boxes or check for eggs when it is time for one of my RIR ladies to lay an egg... they will actually GROWL at me if I don't hurry up and close the lid so they can handle their business!
somad.gif
I'll open up the box just to hear them do that sometimes...
tongue2.gif

It is so much fun. It is loud for a chicken... but like Linda said, your neighbors dog barking is MUCH louder. Think more along the lines of hearing a crow squawk in your back yard for only a minute or so. (Only one, though... not a flock!)

Back
Top Bottom