Time of day to set the eggs

Stonewall Acres

Songster
Feb 19, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I was just wondering if the time of day matters when I set the eggs into the incubator. We have only hatched out a few times & it seems like they hatch in the middle of the night. I can’t remember when I set them the last time I hatched out chicks, so I could try a different time. What time do you like to set the eggs? Or does it even matter?

Last time I set eggs under a broody I did it in the evening and the hatch was midday. Last time I did in the incubator I set in the evening, and hatch started in the middle of the night and I had chicks hatching all through the morning. I think a lot of it depends on incubation conditions and parent stock.

Last time I set eggs under a broody I did it in the evening and the hatch was midday. Last time I did in the incubator I set in the evening, and hatch started in the middle of the night and I had chicks hatching all through the morning. I think a lot of it depends on incubation conditions and parent stock.
That was what I was thinking. There are many factors at play.

I can’t remember when I set them the last time I hatched out chicks, so I could try a different time.

What time do you like to set the eggs? Or does it even matter?
If you can't remember the time you set them before,
how can you set them at a different time now? :D

Not sure it really matters, 12 hours is not much of a window.
All my hatches have been spread across a day or two,
so I get to see some of them hatch(I assume that's your goal?)

temp plays the biggest factor in when they hatch imo ... my last batch i tried something different, knowing that temps vary as much as a degree or two in various spots of the incubator i switched eggs around several times .. they 'did' hatch more evenly .. ive also figured out pretty much where the extremes are in the inc to so i can get the temp set to cover the whole thing better .. as far as when to stop turning and 'lock down' i havent got that nailed perfectly yet, but i dont think its super critical .. i start checking for signs theyre ready at 18 'including' set day regardless of the time, usually they are ..

Back
Top Bottom