Time to ask another silly question lol

Jon J

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 19, 2008
Awhile back, I bought some new chicks at Tractor Supply. I guess in March or April. One of the chicks turned out to be a rooster, which is fine with me, I want some baby chicks!

The roo is mating with the older rhode island hens I got last summer. My question is, does the hen know the egg(s) she is laying is fertilized & KNOW to stay on the nest to to let it hatch out a baby chick?

My hens lay an egg & then abandon that egg until the next (day) time they enter the nest to lay another egg. I guess I'm asking how does the hen know to stay on the nest and hatch the egg out.

I hope I worded my question right.

Awhile back, I bought some new chicks at Tractor Supply. I guess in March or April. One of the chicks turned out to be a rooster, which is fine with me, I want some baby chicks!

The roo is mating with the older rhode island hens I got last summer. My question is, does the hen know the egg(s) she is laying is fertilized & KNOW to stay on the nest to to let it hatch out a baby chick?

My hens lay an egg & then abandon that egg until the next (day) time they enter the nest to lay another egg. I guess I'm asking how does the hen know to stay on the nest and hatch the egg out.

I hope I worded my question right.
No the hens can not tell the difference between a fertilized egg vs a non fertilized one. That is why so many people have problems with some birds going broody on non fertile ones.

Broodiness is a hormonal thing. I've heard of hens sitting on golf balls! if you want chicks give your broody some fertile eggs and she'll do what nature and instinct tells her to.

I have another hen that has been broody for about two months. She sits in her nest until late evening, comes out to eat. I think I'll put any eggs in her nest and see what happens. Here is my Roo with the youngling chicks I got with him. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom