Time to cull. :(

watchdogps

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Central Ohio
As soon as I get my DH's butt in gear, it's time to cull and dispatch some of the extra roos. I'm not really looking forward to it, but it must be done. Too many roos, too little space makes for unhappy birds. I did separate the one that was doing the head down in the corner, so he could have some peace before he goes to the freezer.
The dogs will eat well tonight.

I can relate to your feelings. I had to kill one pullet hen that had been wounded too badly to survive. It took me two days to work up the courage and then as I too the knife to her neck I sliced my hand as well. (I read that as 'self punishment' for killing her.) There was guilt and regret but that has all passed. I mean I eat chicken all the time - from the frozen food section. I am about six months away from culling my oldest part of the flock. I am not too sure how that is going to go. I have even thought about paying someone to do it but that seems the cowards way out.

I feel for you, we did that to 9 roosters Wensday. Just tell yourself that they had the best life possible, and know that they got treated much better than the broiler house birds.

(I read that as 'self punishment' for killing her.) Seriously??????? Maybe you were just holding the knife wrong or maybe in total doing it wrong?????? Ridiculous statement

Quote:
it's not easy, and I hate that part.
we raise, and eat, sheep. I figure it's my job to give them the best life I can, and honor that life by wasting as little as possible. when its time to be the angel of death, my job is to be swift and sure.
going to be culling birds for the first time this year... yeah, going to have to get my head right.

as for feeling like a coward when we have someone else do it... no, some things I don't have the skills to be swift and sure at. for those things, I pay someone who does. I handle the animals, they do the kill. it's the least stress I can offer the animal. the stress that brings me? well, I'm a carnivore by choice, so it's just part of the deal.

Thanks. I know this is kinder than the factory birds get, and I also know it is better than to make them live another week cramped and stressed. Hubby will be doing the actual "deed", but I'll be the one selecting, dropping in the cone and defeathering. I just need him to do the cut, I cant do that.

Culling is the hardest part of having chickens, but focus on the great life that they have had before going to the freezer and know that you are going to handle the culling in the most humane way possible. I say all of this and still cry myself to sleep if I know that it's impending here, but all in all, I know that my birds have a great life while they are here with us..That is very comforting to me..

Quote:
I have to do the same.. the cut makes me qeeezzzy to think about it, I am an animal lover and I know it would tare me up inside to do it!

I have done many a bird............and I always have to remind myself that I will feel better once it is done.

You will feel better too.
hugs.gif
So much stress will be gone, once it is done.

Quote:
I hate choosing who has to go and who gets to stay. Somethimes it's very hard to decide. So far we have culled 14 this year, and have 6 more to go next month.All birds that I raised from day old chicks. It really is better than overcrowding, and trying to keep them would stress the hens. Also cutting the weaker and meaner birds from your flock, makes your flock stronger and more managable.

Back
Top Bottom