Time to Fly!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hollyk, Feb 9, 2012.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I have 3 chicks that just turned 3 weeks old. They are a Black Australorp and Wyandotte cross and have been doing great. This little guy flew out of his brooder and landed on the table where is was working preparing a power point presentation on compost for my Master Gardener class. Well, he must of seen the section on chicken litter and left me a little "something" on the table! [​IMG][​IMG] Life with farm animals!
    [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love it when my chicks start to fly out of the brooder bin. I even cheer 'em on when they make it to the edge and perch there. Now that the chicks are in the Kindergarten pen inside the coop, they are jumping and flying onto anything with height. Inside the Kindergarten is the ginormous brooder which I will use with chicks when it is later in the year.... the NYD Hatch chicks and my 3 little silkie chicks were brooded in the guest room because it's Winter. The EcoGlow brooder heaters work best with an ambient temperature of at least 50 degrees, so no itty bitty chicks get brooded in the ginormous brooder this time of year.

Anyway, their ability to fly as chicks is so much fun to watch as they develop better skills at it. Ain't it a gas to see 'em try and succeed??

3. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    When it's warm outside when I have chicks I always take them out to play in the backyard everyday. They run around, in and out of plants, climbing/flying up things. It's soooo cute. My favorite part though is that I have slick granite stepping stones and they would do their crazy happy flying half running thing and land on the granite and just slide off. I think they decided that that was fun because they started looking like they were doing it on purpose and they STILL do it at 7 months old lol.

4. DDDMIchicks

DDDMIchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    My one week old babies just started flying & landing on top of their food jar! I love the personalities they develop when they're so young! Its usually just one that is doing the flying & the other 2 just watching her!

5. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    They are so cute! I know what you mean about one flying and the others watching. The one that landed on the table is the only one to make it over the wall and he has been doing it for a while and the others watch and then go about eating. I am pretty certain that I have 2 roos and 1 hen in the bunch. Now they are moved out to the brooder house as a new batch arrived yesterday from Ideal. Peeps all over the place![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by