Time to introduce myself...

Siyabonga Mama

Chirping
Aug 19, 2018
Kennewick, Eastern Washington
Hello there ... I've been a lurker for years, then signed up with BYT a few months ago. I guess it's time to introduce myself. My husband and I live on a farmlet in Eastern Washington, where we raise a couple beef cattle out of our two Angus cows each year. In addition to cattle and chickens we have six dogs of our own, one friendly kitty and an uncertain number of feral barn cats, and a stubborn old horse. We aspire to be more-or-less self-sufficient, but that's a work in progress.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I started keeping chickens when we moved here in 2008. My neighbor had more than she wanted so gave me some to get started. Hard to believe it's been that long, and I still have SO much to learn!
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
18 girls, mostly gold sex-links but a couple of the old ladies are buff orpingtons. The roo is a big, handsome black dude, origin unknown, temperament charming.
(3) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love having a steady supply of deliciousness raised in my own backyard. Apart from enjoying the eggs myself, it means I'm never lacking a hostess gift - and sometimes I even make a bit of pocket money! (I try at least to sell enough eggs to cover the cost of their feed.) I also enjoy hanging out and just watching them, mainly in warm weather.
(4) What are some of your other hobbies?
I run a dog rescue, with a friend. I'm also working on a novel. I like reading. Oh, and I have a blog - https://americansoustannie.wordpress.com/
(5) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
The Hubbit is a retired engineer who can fix pretty much anything. I'm a reporter/writer/tech editor by original profession, originally from South Africa, and have mixed feelings about living in the US ... I miss Africa, but after 20 years my life here is well established, and there's plenty to like here.
(6) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I found BYC years ago when googling some or other chicken issue and it became a primary resource. Then one of my girls got really sick and I wanted to post a question, so I joined.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Sorry to hear you missed Africa for a while. You will forget it about it when you indulge in to BYC! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do

Back
Top Bottom