Time to join BYC forum!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DownEastChickens, Mar 16, 2009.

1. DownEastChickens

DownEastChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    We've had four batches of chickens over the past eight or so years, each time starting with about twenty: The first two batches were raised for meat, and we kept them for only for about five months. The second two batches have been for eggs, a mix of varieties, and kept longer, so I'm getting more involved now, including watching their behavior.

We have fifteen birds now, including one rooster and five hens that are all offspring of a Partridge Cochin rooster and hens we don't know the exact variety of (but offspring have alot of orange in them...we were given the fertilized eggs). The one rooster and five hens hatched from those August '08. The other nine, older, hens were purchased May '06, from a commercial hatchery. They include 4 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Ameraucanas, and 1 Black Langshan.

One of the four Buff Orpingtons went broody last summer and she hatched the six younger birds this past August. Our chickens were all one big happy blended family over Fall and Winter...but we have a crisis now, which has spurred my joining the Forum (my next post will be that story: "Family Crisis: Young rooster attacking hen that hatched him")

I've been consulting the BYC forum periodically over the years, as a "guest," and found it very helpful, including around care of birds over the winter. My husband, dog, chickens, and I are based in Downeast Maine.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington

imp

3. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

WOOT!

Great to have you here! Now you can help us get all the rest of the guest lurkers to join in on the fun. [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a lot of experience and stories to share.

[​IMG]

4. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    [​IMG]

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Welcome from North Carolina![​IMG]

6. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

A hearty welcome from Maine!! Looking forward to getting to know you! [​IMG]

7. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    its that time of year, young roo's [​IMG]
    hi, i am in new hampshire!
    you will have to check the swap threads we have some still in the planning stages for maine!

8. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello [​IMG] and WELCOME to BYC from NC

9. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Hi there! Welcome from western Kentucky! [​IMG]

10. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina