Time to leave the nest?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by elena de Gaia, Jul 6, 2010.

1. elena de Gaia

elena de Gaia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    When should I put mama hen back with the other hens and keep chicks separate? The chicks are hen hatched and raised living with mom in a separate section f the cop and pen. At 5 weeks they are hoping all around her and on her. Does Ebony [MOM] need a break? I have 2 hens with their chicks in the "nursery" section. One mom [Buffy] is kinda aggressive to Ebony.
    I am new to this and would appreciate any advise. Thanks. Elena
    5 hens, 13 chicks, 1 cat, 2 dogs, 1 rabbit, 4 Dwarf Nigerian goats and my kind husband.​

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    My broody started laying eggs again with the chicks and about the third day of laying something switched in her head and she stopped being the mommy to the chicks about 6 weeks of age. She taught them how to forage and protected them from the other hens. Your broody will know when enough is enough, I still kept the chicks separated but near because the big chickens were really mean to them and they were still small. Now they are about 12 weeks and they mix in with the flock but can still get into thier separate area as they want.
    Caroline

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I watched for signs from the broody that she was done. When she started pecking at her own chicks and chasing them away, I separated them.

4. elena de Gaia

elena de Gaia Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Thanks. I guess the message is trust the broody. She has been amazing with this first brood. I have a new appreciation of the term.."Mother Hen.."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by