Time to line the coop - Mulch vs Sand: Need your input!

I use the same chunky, aged wood chips in my coop as I do the run but I've made some alterations over time.

To extend out the need for cleaning (aiming for once a year cleanouts now) I now I have hemp under the roost area for easier sifting of poop, which goes into my compost bin (poop boards would be another option, I just didn't go that route when I set this up).

coopfloor.JPG

As the chickens barely poop in the wood chips side of the coop there's really nothing to clean up so the bedding lasts a long time without any maintenance. When I do cleanouts I simply rake it from the coop and into the run, where the chips become part of the deep litter in the run.

I use the same chunky, aged wood chips in my coop as I do the run but I've made some alterations over time To extend out the need for cleaning (aiming for once a year cleanouts now) I now I have hemp under the roost area for easier sifting of poop, which goes into my compost bin (poop boards would be another option, I just didn't go that route when I set this up).

View attachment 2717228

As the chickens barely poop in the wood chips side of the coop there's really nothing to clean up so the bedding lasts a long time without any maintenance. When I do cleanouts I simply rake it from the coop and into the run, where the chips become part of the deep litter in the run.
Great to hear!! Your hens are lovely !

Well, the coop is almost finished, and I have a brooder full of chicks! I need to get flooring material down next.
I was planning to line my coop with sand, and line my covered run with mulch (mixed size wood chips from a local tree guy). I was going to try to find suitable sand/gravel fines this week, but I read an article about lining with sand just now that raised some concerns about sanitation, respiratory issues, and chickens eating poops that are “breaded“ with sand.
Now I’m wondering if perhaps I could line the coop with the wood chip mulch as well?
Extra info: The coop has an earth floor, but we dug out a good trench and have a cinder block/concrete foundation. We built a poop catch under the roosts that I’m going to line with PDZ and scoop regularly. Lots of ventilation in the summer, with a system of windows that pop in for the cold months. I’m in central NC. We have hot summers, it’s a fairly rainy climate, and winters we sometimes have a few mornings that dip into the single digits, some winters we only dip into the 20’s.
Any thoughts are appreciated. I’m a little perplexed, as I’ve had a plan for a while now. I have been having a difficult time finding sand that is appropriate (not too fine, not too dusty, etc.) and now I’m wondering if a totally different flooring would be best anyways
Well, the coop is almost finished, and I have a brooder full of chicks! I need to get flooring material down next.
I was planning to line my coop with sand, and line my covered run with mulch (mixed size wood chips from a local tree guy). I was going to try to find suitable sand/gravel fines this week, but I read an article about lining with sand just now that raised some concerns about sanitation, respiratory issues, and chickens eating poops that are “breaded“ with sand.
Now I’m wondering if perhaps I could line the coop with the wood chip mulch as well?
Extra info: The coop has an earth floor, but we dug out a good trench and have a cinder block/concrete foundation. We built a poop catch under the roosts that I’m going to line with PDZ and scoop regularly. Lots of ventilation in the summer, with a system of windows that pop in for the cold months. I’m in central NC. We have hot summers, it’s a fairly rainy climate, and winters we sometimes have a few mornings that dip into the single digits, some winters we only dip into the 20’s.
Any thoughts are appreciated. I’m a little perplexed, as I’ve had a plan for a while now. I have been having a difficult time finding sand that is appropriate (not too fine, not too dusty, etc.) and now I’m wondering if a totally different flooring would be best anyway.
unless you have fantastic drainage I’d use wood chips. The carbon matter helps to breakdown the stink. I tried sand in my run and when it got wet it smelled horrible. I’d assume the same would happen in the coop.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).

There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 7 years.
That’s great - sounds like my kind of cleaning!! Do you find that your hens eggs are pretty clean with this method? That was one reason I was initially leaning toward sand - I had heard that the sand would clean their feet as they made their way to the nesting boxes, hence cleaner eggs. But, I’m totally off the sand idea at this point. Just curious what your experience is with that, because I think my setup is going to be pretty similar to yours.

That’s great - sounds like my kind of cleaning!! Do you find that your hens eggs are pretty clean with this method? That was one reason I was initially leaning toward sand - I had heard that the sand would clean their feet as they made their way to the nesting boxes, hence cleaner eggs. But, I’m totally off the sand idea at this point. Just curious what your experience is with that, because I think my setup is going to be pretty similar to yours.

With my Deep Bedding I almost never have a dirty egg. Now and then I guess a hen steps in a fresh poop on her way to the box, but even in wet weather the trip across the dry bedding to the nest box seems to do the job of keeping the mud off the feet.

I will, however, note that I have extremely well-drained, sandy soil.

With my Deep Bedding I almost never have a dirty egg. Now and then I guess a hen steps in a fresh poop on her way to the box, but even in wet weather the trip across the dry bedding to the nest box seems to do the job of keeping the mud off the feet.

I will, however, note that I have extremely well-drained, sandy soil.
I’m up here in the red clay! 😂 But, I think that it should be pretty similar inside the coop, since I have a good roof. Good to hear!!

Most the time, yes.
If only one could get them to wipe their feet before entering the nests. :gig
Sand might help with that, or just track sand into the nests too.

Back
Top Bottom