TIme to move outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickaroos, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Chickaroos

Chickaroos Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    In my area we're looking at the next week staying in the low 60's (the high) and mid 40's at night.
    My chicks are almost 6 weeks old and the ones that are a few day older are all feathered out.
    I have a very large fenced area for my 12 and have one open coopand one closeable coop. Will they be ok to start living outside? Or are they still to young and cold out?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

I'm in Ohio, and your weather sounds alot like ours. If your chickens are fully feathered, then they'll be fine to go outside. I would put them in the coop that you can close at night though, because you don't want them to be some predator's midnight snack.

They should huddle together if they're cold. I bet they'll be just fine. I've got a hen house with two rooms, and the adult hens and my roo are in one room, and I just put my chicks out in the other room. I did put a heat lamp in though, because some of the chicks still have some fuzz, but they're doing just great. It got down into the 30s last night too.

Take care,
    Sharon

3. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    my chickens started living outside at the age of 2 weeks. Thats because we live in FL, its very nice and warm here.

4. ButchGood

ButchGood Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2012
    Central Texas

X2 Texas here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by