Time to move them?

Saerasx

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Beaverton, OR
My chicks are about 1.5 wks old and Im thinking it might be time to move them to a new brooder (bath tub). I just got them on pine shavings which they love, and raised the water dish which is working well. However my two australorps feel like its fun to dive bomb off of the Brinsea brooder and they have even figured out they can hop onto the top black part and try to fly out. Now I have to always have the cover on or at least on over the Brinsea so they dont try to jump out. Would this be my sign? My other two, EE and a marans havent seemed too interested in being dare devils, the EE likes to get up there but my shy little marans couldnt really care less. They dont seem to be picking on each other except for the exploratory pecking that a baby might do. Im concerned that they may freak out when they have so much more space? The tub doesnt have a lid system, but it does have sliding doors (step in tub), would this work?

They won't freak out, they'll adjust amazingly well and you'll wonder how they fit in the previous space. lol. I think the tub would be fine (and remarkably easy to clean), though it may be a little slippery for them unless you use shavings or some other type of covering.

I was thinking I would line the tub with paper towlels, or old cloth towels and then layer the shavings on top. I definitely dont want any slippage

@gander my marans with the injured wing is doing GREAT! thanks for all your help!!

And yes, as soon as I have an extra pair of hands I will be moving them upstairs :)

Anything will work. After about 3 days I'm always ready for those stinking chickens (and quail) to get the heck out of my house.
Just out of curiosity, how do you intend to take a bath while your bathtub is full of chickens?

Anything will work. After about 3 days I'm always ready for those stinking chickens (and quail) to get the heck out of my house.
Just out of curiosity, how do you intend to take a bath while your bathtub is full of chickens?

Upstairs guest bathroom :weee plus I like the idea of being able to have double protection, the shower doors and bathroom door- no escapees for us. I'm really hoping our walls are thick enough to keep those peeping noises out of our room though :)

Back
Top Bottom