Time to rehome my drake?

Sharpgirls

In the Brooder
May 20, 2018
Wondering what you all would do. Three years ago we hatched three Pekins- Pepper the drake, Cilantro and Basil. Basil recently passed away and Cilantro is having leg issues and likes to sleep most of the day. Pepper is go go go wanting to mate and has picked one of our chickens to hyperfocus on. We keep them separate in the pen and she can outrun him when they free range. It's annoying though. So, we got two, 2 year old Khaki Campbell girls to keep Pepper company. The first day they were free ranging together, he ran away from them as they followed him about, quacking. The second day was peaceful ducky bliss until suddenly he decided it was time to mate. He chases them relentlessly the minute he catches sight. They want nothing to do with him now. I locked them in the run together last night and I think it was awful for them. I found one hiding inside the chicken coop (she's quite agile). So tonight I will start separating them at night, but this isn't what I wanted. Will they learn to live together as a flock, like Pepper and his other two girls did? Or is it time to rehome him to somewhere with big girl ducks that will be interested in this big goofy boy. Thanks for any thoughts on this!

They will definitely live together as a flock. You just need to give them enough time to establish a pecking order because you have introduced new members to your flock. They will soon adapt and live together with each other.

You need not worry. Just enough time and patience makes everything good.

The size difference is something to think about though. My pekin can't mate with my smaller ducks. He is much too big to get the right balance and angle and instead falls off repeatedly and pulls out their neck feathers trying to stabilize. He does not have this problem with his pekin girls. Consider getting some more large breed ducks for his amorous intentions. If nothing else it will spread the lovin' around and give your smaller girls a break.

The size difference is something to think about though. My pekin can't mate with my smaller ducks. He is much too big to get the right balance and angle and instead falls off repeatedly and pulls out their neck feathers trying to stabilize. He does not have this problem with his pekin girls. Consider getting some more large breed ducks for his amorous intentions. If nothing else it will spread the lovin' around and give your smaller girls a break.
My pekin mates with a mallard

It doesn't sound like it's working out as beautifully for Sharpgirls. I gave information about what I have observed within my own flock as it seems relevant.
I get fertile eggs. I would think it would be easier for a pekin and khaki campbells to mate but idk

They will definitely live together as a flock. You just need to give them enough time to establish a pecking order because you have introduced new members to your flock. They will soon adapt and live together with each other.

You need not worry. Just enough time and patience makes everything good.
Thank you for your reply! So I'm ok to leave him chasing them around and such? He's got them so spooked they basically hide in the bushes all day at the moment. Would you give them a safe space at night so they aren't trapped with him in the run, or would you just let it play out? Thanks so much for your thoughts on this.

I agree it takes time just like if you put a rooster with new hens, most likely he will chase. Give it some time update us! 🙂
Thank you! I'm ok with him chasing them when they free range because he's not a sprinter and they outrun him easily. Would you give them a safe space at night or just lock them together in the pen and let it play out? Thanks for your thoughts :)

Back
Top Bottom