Time to Slaughter?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by fresheggs4u, Jul 11, 2011.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I have 28 mixed breed birds. They are a mix of Black Copper Maran and Plymouth Barred Rock pullets or pure barred rock. They were hatched the first week of March 2011 and I plan to slaughter them tomorrow. That was my intention when they were hatched. Do you think that I am wasting my time? The roosters are good size and the pulluet of course are smaller. They are about 17 weeks old. I have noticed some new small eggs, so a few are beginning to lay. What is the average age to slaughter a dual purpose bird. Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Eat the roosters, but what is your chicken market like? You might see if you can sell the pullets for more money than the meat is worth.

3. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    on average mixed pullets are running about $8.00. Craigslist is full of them. I can let them mature more. How old is too olde to slaughter for tender meat.

4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    It isn't necessarily the age of the bird, more the cooking methods and how long you may want to age the meat. I've eaten old birds that were very good. You should age the meat in a salt water brine for a few hours to 2-3 days depending on how old and tough the bird is. Then cook slowly at low temps in a covered crock pot or oven roasting pan with water in the bottom for steam cooking.

You should pop over to the cooking section or search for cooking older birds for more exact recipes. (I generally throw my older birds in the crock pot with some salt and cook for 8-12 hours, remove bones, throw the meat back in add my rice and veggies, spices and cook another couple of hours. I love stew!) You could easily freeze your birds, then age in the fridge in salt water after thaw and roast in a covered pan with water in the bottom if you are not a fan of stew.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by