Time to upgrade to a bigger coop! :-)

Toddrick

Songster
5 Years
Sep 28, 2014
Indiana
First, I should say I've been gone a long time due to a very unexpected surgery outcome. I wasn't sure I could maintain my chicken hobby at all, let alone proceed with my grandiose plans to upgrade my flock. My wife had to take over my chicken responsibilities and reluctantly became a full time chicken momma. Long story short, she loves the chickens now and SHE is the one pushing for a bigger flock. I'll be able to enjoy it too, but I'm just not going to be able to build or assemble the coop as I had originally planned.

So...I'm looking to buy a walk in coop that comfortably holds a dozen or more hens. I don't care about a run right now, I just want to get the coop ordered within the next couple weeks. I'm in central Indiana. Can anyone recommend a place to order from that can either deliver it whole, or ship it partially assembled? I'm thinking one about the size of a small minibarn like Chickcrib's:

I have seen some websites for Amish made coops that come assembled. I think there are some posts here on BYC asking they're 'worth it'. If you do a search here, you might find some good stuff.

Also, our local Leonard dealer sells coops. the same Leonard ones that sells camper shells and such. They have a website that allows you to download pricing.

The very best advice I can give you is to make your own coop. I've purchased coops in the past and when they arrive they are never what i expected and you can make a large comfortable coop for half the cost of what you will pay to buy one. Last year hubby got busy on our large coop that comfortably hold about 12 standard size hens and a large rooster. Its exactly how we want it because we designed it ourselves . I can as well as my hubby walk in to clean the coop with a high roof and two long perching rods sleeps every one comfortable . I even have room to hold two trashcans closed with food. They have their own entrance a door i close off attached to our run at night and open in the am. The run has my last pre bought hen house attached with cut out buckets where they lay. The house has a large nest box as well.we were able to build exactly to our needs for a FRACTION of what a pre made coop costs.the coop has kept them warm and dry in the worst of wind and rain.we have a large window on the side and roof ventilation. In our hot summers we run a fan through the window .due to preditors the houses and run are all connected and covered .it really works out nicely. When I've bought pre-made I've been extremely disappointed. The structures are not sturdy, they say they fit so many birds but that's impossible they would have been soo crowded. They were not waterproof or preditor proof. I could not walk inside.it would have been awful to clean and i spent a lot of money! We had to add to it and change it just to hold the girls until my husband built a better coop. They have lots of plans you can follow online and show how to build ( this helped my hubby lots ) i wouldnt waste your hard earned money on a pre built coop. You can save loads and get just what you want by doing it yourself . You can get loads of ideas and plans online. I hope this helps and wish you the best!! Building it yourself is a win win. You get what your wanting and it's fun! Don't forget how much you will save!

I'd love to build it myself. I even picked out the design from the Coops blog and I have a lot of great power tools. Unfortunately I am crippled now so moving big lumber around is out of the question. I might be able to convert a minibarn into a coop though.

Look on craigslist for local coop builders. The best thing might be to get a garden/ equipment shed, and have extra window openings added, and peak openings too, covered in hardware cloth for ventilation. Either on a concrete pad, or on dirt with a dig proof perimeter foundation. Mary

I'd love to build it myself. I even picked out the design from the Coops blog and I have a lot of great power tools. Unfortunately I am crippled now so moving big lumber around is out of the question. I might be able to convert a minibarn into a coop though.
Can you get someone to help with the heavier parts?

Buying a large wooden shed delivered from one of the big box places might work for you then.

Rural king has several coops maybe they have a walk in on their online site. I know they will deliver heavy stuff for 55$. That's the rate for a wood furnace that weights 800 pounds.

Rural king has several coops maybe they have a walk in on their online site. I know they will deliver heavy stuff for 55$. That's the rate for a wood furnace that weights 800 pounds.

The biggest one Rural King had turned out to be too small. It looked bigger online, but the doors and windows were miniature sized. But the store in Martinsville did have a terrific selection of chicks! I got BSL's, ISA's, a Partridge Rock, and a Buckeye. I wish they hadn't sold out of the Speckled Sussex because that was on the top of my list. Way better chick selection than Tractor Supply.

Anyways, we decided to buy a Amish built Victorian Playhouse and simply add nesting boxes and a roosting bar. Not cheap (>$2k) but about the same price as a smaller coop, and we think it is more attractive.

victorian-small.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom