Time until able to process?

sune42

Songster
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Northern Kentucky
So I just found out a poultry farm near me will process birds for $2 a bird. I can't process at my home and frankly, not sure if I would be able to do it anyway. So now I am thinking about some meat birds in addition to my layers. I was looking at the fry pan special at Meyer Hatchery and wondered how long it would take, on average, for the birds to be ready for processing? Also, when do roosters start crowing. I live in a small town and while there is no law against roosters, I don't want to "ruffle any feathers". lol

TIA
Amanda

Why don't you go with the Cornish X? They'll be ready for processing in only 8 weeks or so, with no danger of crowing.
wink.png

Quote:
Ditto- and I thought that the "fry pan special" was just a fancy word for layer breed roos that no one wants. If so, they will not be good meat birds.

I am not really interested in the Cornish X. I would rather do a DP bird. I thought the fry pan special would be good because I would be letting some roos that would otherwise be killed at chick stage, have a good life before providing food.

Quote:
I believe those are the Leghorns they are referring to. They take about 22 weeks to finish out and I believe you get a 3 lb dressed weight carcass.

If your looking for birds that do not crow, get the cornish x's. However do a bit of research on this forum about them, they are a little different than normal chicks.

I wouldn't buy from McMurray either... way too expensive. I would go with one of the cheaper ones and one that is close.

I would go with the Cornish X also. I've butchered a bunch of different breeds now and, while the meat is ok on other breeds, NOTHING beats a big ole FAT MEATY! 8 to 12 weeks from start to finish is big bonus too. Don't let them go longer than 12. I took some of my last batch to 16 weeks. I got enormous breasts (1.2lb per breast half average) but they are semi tough.

I have DP birds. Most of my roos are crosses (Orp/Del) and I like the carcass to be about 5/6 month old before I think about butchering - tends to give me a 4 to 5 pound bird. If the bird is not a butt head, I will let it grow a couple more months. I also like the taste and flavor that a bit older bird has. At that age, there is some crowing but not all are giving it a go. I keep a pen of roos for grow out and generally it is only the two or three most dominate in the pen who crow. Mine have a large area (about 2.5 acres) to roam and flap about in and burn alot of energy - so if the pen is smaller, you might get a bit larger bird.

Back
Top Bottom