Time without food

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a medium sized hanging gravity feeder from TSC that only fills to 1/2 way up the rim so at the level I have it they have to reach over to get their feed and try as they might, none is wasted onto the ground.

I fill it to 1/3 (keeps it fresh imo) of it's capacity, check it daily and top it up every three to four days always with a day or two food still available. This serves 1/2 of my aviary with my breeders. 2 roos and 11 hens.

For water I have 4 fonts out (just because I have them) and a 9" square glass baking pan filled about an inch deep sitting on a 4" tall brick that gets cleaned twice a day. This they like wading in and drinking from.

All of this because I have not yet installed the bulk water system yet.

As it is my breeders can go the weekend without opening the aviary but that wouldn't happen as I enjoy sitting in there interacting with them. Once the 5 gallon watering system is plumbed and they are trained to chicken nipples I think they could go a week if the occasion ever presented itself.

Last edited:
Nobody is sugesting to starve the birds quail don't eat much any way my feeder lasts them about 2 days. It is a long feeder with 28 holes and all 53 of my quail eat out of it so yours will be just fine.

And here I thought that stating the birds will be fine for up to a week without food was saying just that.

I thought "place more food" was a superior suggestion to " dont woory about it they can go a week without". Shows how little I know.

Oh yes he did.
It's my uneducated opinion that letting your quail go for a week without food is starving them, whether they actually die from it or not. Nuff said.

You are still wrong. That was not me. I feel like you may be suffering from confirmation bias--seeing what you expect and actively seeking it out.

As I said before, please read more carefully or don't reply at all. There's no point in ascribing false words to the wrong people or spreading information which may be wrong. Thank you.

Last edited:
Every healthy animal (including people) should go periods without food. It has a lot of health benefits if it's controlled or periodic. Look up "caloric restriction." :)

You might actually want to do more research on the very topic you suggest others research...

Are you not aware that 'caloric restriction' involves still eating all the essential nutrients and nutrition you need every day while simply cutting back on daily calorie intake? It has nothing to do with fasting or fully being deprived of food and/or nutrition for a period of time... It's the basics of a low calorie diet balanced diet, you still eat a nutritional balanced diet you just cut back on overall daily calories...

Also 'caloric restriction' as a matter of course does not apply to birds (there are some exceptions like hybrid broilers) as birds are calorie limited eaters by nature, meaning they eat the amount of calories they need at that particular time/day basically a daily on demand basis of food in and food out... Of course being caged as a pet the bird is deprive normal activity so sometimes captive birds gain some weight... Birds do this because to maintain flight ability they can't pack on an excess of 'fat' reserves like many other animals (especially mammals) do...

To the OP get them a big container like a bus pan or roasting pan and give them big helping of food that will hold them over for your vacation... Better they waste some of the food in the pan vs going hungry...

You are still wrong. That was not me. I feel like you may be suffering from confirmation bias--seeing what you expect and actively seeking it out.

As I said before, please read more carefully or don't reply at all. There's no point in ascribing false words to the wrong people or spreading information which may be wrong. Thank you.
No you are right. I didn't notice that you jumped in when I answered the other guy and I apologize. It was horrible advice considering the question and no one can change my mind. You're a grown up and can do with your quail what you will. I just hope you didn't take his advice seriously. I was challenging the advice not the person and your comment lent to agree with his so I thought it was him replying to what I just wrote. I'll use quotes next time.

Edit: I'm done with this thread. Getting jumped by the person I was "defending" because you apparently agreed with him on some level, isn't fun. I dont need the drama so I'll pick my battles.

Last edited:
Ok folks, time to lock down this thread. The idea that a small quail can go extended periods of time without food is something we do not promote here on BYC. For anyone reading this thread in the future, always keep food and water available at all times even if you have to leave a 5 gallon drum in the pen.

Thank you for your understanding.
-BYC Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom