timing and quantity of nest boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dma6473, Apr 5, 2011.

1. dma6473

dma6473 New Egg

Feb 28, 2011
    I have 22 rid pullets. Do I need 22 nest boxes? If not how many? My chickens are almost 7 weeks old, but we haven't built the nest boxes yet? Since they wont be laying in the near future can I put it off for a little while or do I need to get them done so they will get used to them?

2. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    They wont use the nest boxes even if you make them now. Mine started laying at around 4- 5 months. And they all used the same nest box!
    They say 1 box for every 4 hens. ive read that on here. thanks to the helpful members.[​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Agree. I just had one start at 17+ weeks, but 20 is probably a better average. I certainly wouldn't make them more than 4 nests. You can use many types of containers you may have lying around rather than buying wood and building something, if you want. Plastic bins (some like open top nests,) 5 gallon buckets, dollar store milk crates, discarded dresser drawers -- lots of things.

4. CopperCT

CopperCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    I agree too. I have 11 hens and three nests. Before they were laying they never paid any attention to them so I think you can wait to build nests until they are closer to 18-20 weeks when the laying should begin. The hens occasionally use all three nests but much more often they all want the same nest at the same time. [​IMG] Lots of bickering on those days and sometimes two large fowl squeeze themselves in the same nest when the other two are empy....silly things. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by